Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh, Canada?

I have a turncoat daughter. In the past two weeks, Morgan has decided she likes Canada the best. Canada just won the Hockey game for the gold medal. I can't say I'm too disappointed because it was on their home ice and all. And I also think the Canadians appreciate the win more than Americans in general would have. I have a few other ideas too. When we first started watching the Olympics, Morgan exclaimed, "Look at their (USA) hats, the ones with the moose!" She fell in love. Well, so did everyone else in the country. Being that we hired Ralph Lauren to design the Olympic uniforms, the hats were a paltry $75. They disappeared fast and are now on eBay (only a few) for $350. That is America. Canada has awesome hats, mittens, and scarves that were for sale online for ~$25. They made plenty of them, and they are also on eBay for about $9-$25. I find it somewhat ridiculous - especially in such dire economic times. But I digress... Morgan's English class has "Food Friday." Morgan decided that she was going to participate and that it was going to be something special. She got the idea to make Canada cupcakes. I thought to myself, "Oh, yeah, I have a maple leaf cookie cutter and can make fondant and do that for her." Well, Thursday night was a doozy. Morgan had 3 tests on Friday. Roz had a test on Friday. Roz and Maddie had dance. I had a Relief Society quilting class to teach. Morgan made cupcakes with her friend and they study at the same time. I did the fondant. Morgan helped me drive the girls. Morgan also made Canada shirts for herself and Rachel. We fell into bed at 10:00 which was a miracle. Whoever you were rooting for, you have to admit that these cupcakes are most adorable!

Here is a shot of half the cupcakes. These little buggers were a big hit and I heard about them from her teachers and from other students. Morgan's English teacher recognized them immediately with, "Canada cupcakes!! Why?" Her response: "I like Canada." He then said, "Cool" and took a cupcake!

The second half of the Canada Day for Morgan was the creation of tshirts for her and her friend, Rachel. Morgan got the idea on her own and I think they are quite nice. She got a lot of comments on it!

Here is Morgan in my classroom, so you can also see where I spend the majority of my days, kindof.

And here is Rachel and Morgan proudly displaying Canada's colors. I just shrug and carry on, thankful that Morgan has a good time. So, congrats to Canada. They have a great anthem. Morgan has already memorized it.


Now I will say that I have always loved the Olympics. I thought that these athletes came together and competed and were so happy to be there and had never met these other athletes from other countries. These foreigners were completely unknown to them and every 4 years, they would meet up. I have always had a very "Pollyanna" attitude about things and I'll admit that I still do. I love the Olympics. We have watched coverage everyday. It has brought out family closer. We have had a lot to talk about and have cheered together for sports we never care about - bobsled, curling, biathlon, snowboard cross, etc. I can't wait for the summer Olympics in 2 years in London. It will be the summer and I'll be able to spend more time watching. I have also gotten a lot of knitting done. Farewell to the Olympics. I think I have done my job as a mother to pass on my passion for the Olympics to my children.

9 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Cool shirts and cupcakes, eh?

I'll have to get a passport if I'm ever going to visit Morgan when she moves to Canada.

I am glad that if the USA had to lose the gold medal in hockey that it was to Canada. Any other country and I would have been annoyed.

Hayley is reading over my shoulder and wondering what the HTML tag for a does. So we are going to do a test. what happens when I add this tag?

Shoebox Princess said...

OH, it makes it look like a link. It's not a link though. Experiment over. Thank you for letting us use this space as an HTML lab.

Again, nice cuppycakes and t-shirts. And I hope someday Morgan marries a Canuck. Just make sure he's not a moose in disguise. Oh, and if she wants to become a Canadian, she'd better watch the MST3K episode Final Sacrifice. It's a movie made in Canada by Canadians and it has a very interesting character in it called Rowsdower. And another one called Mike Pipper.

Jen said...

So does this mean Morgan is going to defect to Canada? I had a feeling Canada was going to snag that Gold in Hockey. They were so heartbroken when they lost to U.S.A. the first time, so I figured they would have much more going into the game and would have their country to make proud.

Love those cupcakes and Morg's shirt. Way cute!

Tina Johnson said...

love the cupcakes!!

Laura Copeland said...

I love it when a family comes together and can all enjoy something uplifting. Like you say, the Olympics are something that teach so many lessons--I loved all the side stories of the participants. Great job in the family togetherness part!

Dennis said...

If Morgan converts to Canadaism (not cannibalism) she'll have to learn to sit on a chesterfield (couch, not a cigarette), look under the bonnet (hood) of her car and that her spare tire is in the boot, ER on the mail boxes is not the emergency room but Elizabeth Reigns, read french road signs and above all say eh instead of huh.

mastubz said...

Hoser!

Morgan Smith said...

if i could like this, i would.

TeamCar said...

LOL... well now she might not like Eastern Canada as much as Western Canada. I must say I liked the cup cakes even though I was too far away to sample them. I missed the hockey game.. where was I? I can't remember right now.. I am sure I was doing something important.. OH well!

BTW.. your day sounded inSANE! When I get that busy I just want to hide. OY OY!

Love ya...