Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Raccoons and Socks

We are annoyed with the raccoon population in our back yard. We have a sinking feeling that our baby kitty, Duckie fell victim to the raccoons, just like Dan and Little Ann from my favorite childhood book, Where the Red Fern Grows. We like to think that she found another family and is living happily. We miss that kitty terribly. Travis decided to get a pellet gun to shoot the raccoons. I'm a little weary of this as Travis isn't a practiced shot and there are people in and about the house and neighborhood. So, we were discussing our predicament with some friends in the ward and turns out Robert worked as a "critter gitter" down here and has some expertise in the field. He came over with his trap and marshmallow fluff. At 1:30 am, Morgan was in our room reporting a flurry of activity outside her bedroom. This morning we found this guilty party in the trap. YAY!! One down, many more to follow!
In an unrelated event, I finished a pair of socks for Travis! He learned the virtues of a good pair of wool socks while we were in Minnesota. So I decided it was his turn for a present. I don't knit for him often - it has been 21 years - so this was truly an act of love. He has been warned of the dangers of wearing them around the house without slippers on. I'd be very sad if he put holes in them. They are very thick. Travis has narrow feet and has trouble getting shoes to fit, so these very thick socks will be helpful on many fronts. I really like how they turned out and they were fun to knit. I never knit dark, somber colors so this was kindof different, which is a good thing. I think he will wear them proudly.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Get them critters. The "critter gitter" bit reminded me of the forwarded email that went around years ago about "You're a Redneck If..." and one of the signs of being a redneck was if you called your computer mouse a critter.

I don't blame you for not wanting Travis to shoot the pellet gun in your neighborhood especially if he doesn't have experience with one. You guys have a pretty small yard, and I'm sure you'd have neighbors that would complain about the noise. Mike would try to shoot his in D.C., but we had so many "lefties" around (if you get my drift) that I told him to just not mess with it.

Nice socks. They are quite manly and perfect for Trav. Enjoy!

Shoebox Princess said...

The raccoon looks very guilty and ashamed.

Nice sockies! Did Travis ask for them? I don't think I've ever knitted anything for any of the males in the family. Jim doesn't wear sweaters. I did sew for him many years ago, but I don't think what I sewed was especially appreciated. It's nice to see that Travis appreciates a nice pair of lovingly knitted socks.

Jenni said...

Trav did not ask for the socks. I just knit them for him. He wears dark socks to work and church, so I figured these would work. I have two other yarns for Trav socks (not that they are next on the list or anything).

TeamCar said...

Jenni..

GLAD you got that critter. We have stinky possums. They are SO stinky.. I often wonder if they rub noses with the skunks we have around too. One possum particularly loves to scare the crap outta the kids. They were sleeping in a tent in August in our back yard and the thing ambled on over to them.. and all them ran screaming!! LOL.. Funny...

As for the socks.. that is too cool. I need to learn to knit. I crochet.. but knitting looks like its a better idea.

TeamCar said...

oh.. please note, the kids were NOT asleep when the possum headed on over to the tent, they looked out of the tent to see what the fuss was about, cuz it was hissing. They saw him coming and well.. Chaos errupted! lol.. I've never laughed so hard.