Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Story of How I Was NOT Hit by a Car

I was going to post about New Year's Eve, but instead I had a great experience at Walmart. Travis and I decided to go to Walmart since we haven't been home for two weeks and we have very little "real" food. We were walking from the car to the store when it happened. We proceeded across the lane as there were no cars coming when out of nowhere, a black Jeep was rounding the corner. I could see that the driver was looking the other way. He had not stopped at the end of the lane. Travis ran one way and I tried to hustle out of the way but my shoe didn't turn with me. My ankle rolled and in my mind I knew I was hit and as I screamed and fell, I waited for the impact, knowing it was going to hurt. Then I was on my back. I heard people yelling, "She's been hit! I'm calling 911!" I remember saying, "He didn't hit me." I couldn't open my eyes because I knew the car was right there. I was half expecting it to be covering me. He came SO close to hitting me that FOUR people called 911 saying I'd been hit. An off-duty police officer was right there and made the kid stay - Trav thinks he was ready to leave. I kept my eyes shut a little while and I knew there were quite a few people there. The Walmart manager was out there fast. Then the sirens started. I required no less than 3 squad cars, 2 ambulance, and 1 fire truck. They got me up into a motorized cart and looked at my ankle. It is just sprained and I didn't think it was broken and did not want the ER. Maybe I should have, but I was thinking about school tomorrow (silly me). They wanted to take me inside because it is so cold here, but I was only shaking from being freaked out and the cold felt good.

So the kid was claiming that he stopped. His mom showed up. We stated that he didn't stop. So they reviewed the tapes. Travis heard the mom giving her son the what-for becuase his statement didn't match the video. The officer told Trav that the video showed the kids flying down the lane and barreling around the corner. He is being cited with reckless driving (a misdemeanor) and will have to appear in court. He is a 2009 graduate of Fleming Island High School and is going into the Army in a few weeks or something like that. I recognized him. He was pretty shaken up, too.

There was a Walmart employee out having a cigarette and talking to her husband and she saw it all happen and had to make an official statement. Her name is Dora (from Jewelry) and she stayed out with us the whole time and was really sweet. Walmart will get a letter about her!! They were really good to us.

After all that, we still needed some food so Trav and I went shopping. I was really shaky all night and kept going into shaking fits. I just couldn't believe how I wasn't hit. We came home and had to explain it all to the girls. They were just going nuts over it all. I can't walk. I am going to school today, but will have to figure something out. I'm hoping the nurse will give me some crutches. If not, I'll just have to use my rolly chair. No students until tomorrow.

My ankle is swollen and sore. I slept pretty good. I still can't put pressure on the foot. Travis is driving me to work and will get me situated. I'll call Morgan to pick me up.

Any questions? Just post and I'll answer. Or you can call me. I'll fill you in on the rest of our trip later!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

OMGosh, Jenni! I think something from above prevented a catastrophe from happening to you. I'm really sorry to hear that your ankle is sprained, but I'm so grateful I'm not hearing worse news. If I were you, I would have stayed home today just to keep your ankle rested, but I'm sure your school colleagues will make sure you take it easy. I pray for a speedy recovery for your ankle. Hugs!

Shoebox Princess said...

I'm glad you didn't get flattened. What excitement 2010 has brought! I hope you have less exciting days ahead.

Dennis said...

I'm glad you are ok and that it is "just" a sprain. I have some crunches you can borrow but you'll have to come get them. I also have a walker, cane and special bathtub chair. I hope the kid learned a lesson from this and I'm glad you are without tire marks.

Tina Johnson said...

Wow! As your sister sid I'm glad you didn't get flattened. Hope your ankle heals quickly.

meg.. said...

What a scary ordeal. So glad the outcome wasn't as bad as it certainly could have been. Now rest up and let that ankle heal!

mrsarmogansclass said...

WOW!!! What a SCARY thing to happen :( Thank goodness Heavenly Father was looking out for you and kept you from actually getting hit! There would have been A LOT of people out looking for that Black Jeep (LOL)

TeamCar said...

Yowza! I am glad you were safe and you are ok. I found out from your letter that you had this near miss. All the people that came well.. they all do that. Chest pains a few years ago had me calling the doc, they told me to call 911.. I did. Ok you would think only the ambulance would show up... Really? NO... 2 fire trucks a GIANT firetruck, 3 ambulances.. ALL of the paramedics were guys. Was truly embarrassing. I don't EVER want to do that again! lol... Love ya!
Kor