Saturday, April 10, 2010

Swimming Season is OPEN!

Spring Break has come to a close and I am very sad. I don't know that I can face seven more weeks of my students. They are all starting to go stir crazy which transfers itself into constant vigilance and redirection by me. Time will pass, I know. It is just the toughest part of the year. It seems harder here in Florida than it was in Minnesota and I think it is a direct function of the weather. The weather in Minnesota moves slowly to summer, so as students, we weren't faced with the desire to sunbathe at the lake until late May. However, we have hit beach time here in Florida and so the students are dreaming of sun-tans already and it is hard to keep them focused.

We took advantage of the weather, though, and went to the beach in St. Augustine for an afternoon. Morgan brought reading material - AP European History. She has a month until these exams and she is trying to use her time wisely. She is taking the ACT as I type, for which she has been studying over Spring Break, too.
Morgan turned 17 on Thursday and for a special Spring Break/Birthday treat, Travis took the girls south to Miami or Boca or whatever. They went to see a Panther's hockey game and loved it. Here they are sporting jerseys. There was some pleading to Dad to buy the jersey, but at $130, it was out of the question. They loved the game and excitement.
Here are Rozzie and Maddie enjoying the pool. Morgan opted to study for the ACT in the room.
Travis thought they'd be coming straight home, but the girls had other ideas. Their minds, like most of the youth in Florida, were on the beach!! So he took them over there for a little bit. The water is much prettier down there! Maddie didn't plan on getting wet again.
Rozzie is all about the beach, tans, and swimming suits! Morgan got out and enjoyed the beach but there wasn't a good picture of her.
While everyone was gone, I enjoyed a quiet house for two days. Lani and I went and toddled around St. Augustine and had a delicious lunch at The Columbian. They serve Cuban food and it was DELICIOUS!!
I finished my fingerless gloves!! They turned out great. The second one wasn't nearly as maddening as the first and it went SO fast. I had it done in a matter of days. Of course, being off from work helps me get more knitting done!

We got Rozzie's quilt back from the quilter and so there will be pictures of that as soon as it is bound and on the bed. She is rather pleased with it!!

2 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Ooooh, I love the beach pictures! Want!

Yay for hockey!

I like your fingerless gloves.

Jen said...

Love that picture of the girls jumping into the water.

Those gloves are so cool. I'll bet your hands sweat putting them on down in FL though. I can't imagine it'd ever get cold enough to need them...LOL.