Saturday, April 17, 2010

In Which Jen Gets Reaquainted with her Car

Spring Break was so wonderful. I relaxed and got things done at the house. No one had lessons or classes or any of that kind of thing. I drove the kids around a bit, but nothing strenuous. And one of the best things was that I finally finished my purple sweater. It is so pretty. I know, it would look better on a different model, but I made it for me and until I morph into something more attractive, this is the best I have. I'm pleased with the sweater. I already knit the socks that match this sweater, too, which is a very exciting thing to behold. I am really pleased with the fact that I have knit two sweaters in one year. I have already started a new sweater!!
We finally had a chance on Monday to celebrate Morgan's birthday. Hannah and Mikel came over with their new baby, Jocelyn. Hannah's parents also joined us. We had a feast of tacos! I got the queso at Moe's and the beans at La Napolera and it really made the dinner extra good!! It was delicious and Morgan was so happy. She kept hugging me and saying "thank you" and "I really liked my dinner." She is always so grateful. We had so much fun, though, and sat around the table talking until 9:30 which is way past my bedtime. The reality of the week, though, was me in the car. Rozzie had dance team clinics at the high school Monday - Wednesday at 4:30. Well, she doesn't get home until 4:30, so that meant me driving to get her at school. That may not seem so outrageous, but Rozzie's junior high is 12 miles down the road! Some of you have been to the school and know just how far away it is. Adding to Rozzie's busy schedule, Maddie is in the play "Willy Wonka" at the elementary school and the play is next week, so they are in their major practice schedule and she had full rehearsals all week. Plus they had violin, dance, and Young Women's New Beginnings. I was spending 4 hours a day in the car!!! Maddie has another big week ahead of her. Look for pictures of a cute Oompha Loompah next week!
Rozzie had her dance team tryouts last night. We had prepared her for the outcome. Freshmen rarely make the team. There were 52 girls trying out. She worked had with McCall one night and also worked with her friend Caleigh each day. Caleigh lives down the street from us so the girls would practice at the bus stop and also at each other's houses each night. The dance called for a headstand with a roll over and Roz was shaky on the headstand. I could help her with that as I am still a headstand pro!! Lani came over to help Roz with her hair (Lani is the big hair/hair spray pro). We were trying to make Rozzie look like ... at least ... maybe ... a sophomore. Rozzie and McCall took off for the school and I sat down to knit to keep myself busy. Travis came home and we thought we'd bide time by going to La Napolera for dinner. On our way there, Roz called to report she was done and could be picked up. She was still shaky from the audition but she said she felt really good about her effort. She had to do a few mandatory things and then one optional "trick". She chose for her optional, "The Worm". Apparently, when she came out of the audition, everyone told her that her Worm was really good. We picked her up and took her to dinner with us. It helped kill time until the team was posted at 9 PM. We got home at about 8:30 and started checking the website. I was just sick. Morgan was even on pins and needles just DYING to know. It was really a toss up as to who was the most nervous: Rozzie, me, or Morgan! Finally at about 8:50, the list was up. The screaming started and I ran over and there was "Rozzie Smith" and right underneath "Caleigh from down the street". There were a few tears and lots of screaming. McCall made it again and they are excited to be on the team together. Rozzie actually knows a number of girls on the team from her dance studio. Rozzie ran down to Caleigh's and Caleigh didn't know yet, so Roz told her she was so nervous and check the list. There was more screaming. Here are the two new Golden Girls of Fleming Island!

I'm really excited for next year, now. I get to see Rozzie out on the field dancing, and Morgan out on the field marching. I couldn't be more proud of them. Morgan is looking forward to auditioning for drum major in two weeks, if that doesn't pan out, she'll audition for section leader (which she did last year). And guess who had trouble sleeping last night!

6 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Congratulations of exceeding joy and happiness to Roz! I expect tons o' pictures next year on this blog.

Berry lovely sweater!

I think I could spend days in your car.

And WOW Morgan's 17. NO. WAY. Belated happies to her as well.

Shoebox Princess said...

I told OJ, "Hey, Morgan's the same age as you are!" to which he replied, "But I'm almost 18." And then I died.

Laura Copeland said...

Jenni, Is there anything you can't do??? The sweater is amazing! I am always so impressed at your talents.

Tina Johnson said...

Congratulations to Rozzie!!!!

Jen said...

Yay for Rozzie. I'm sure she will have a blast.

Lovely Loretta sweater:) Perfect for spring (which is FINALLY showing up around here).

TeamCar said...

YAY!!!! Rozzie!

Purple is my favorite color. The sweater looks LOVELY!

You are amazing. I read about all the stuff you do, and wow... Now wonder your children are good, grateful kids.

Love to you, Trav and the gals!