Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Senior Celebration

First off, here are my purple socks I finished last night, and I love them. They are so pretty and comfy.
Last year, I wanted to do something fun for my seniors who were leaving me. I thought a barbecue would be nice and Travis could come and flip burgers. I talked to Heather about it and we decided to expand it to include all our seniors in ESE. But what about the seniors I had who weren't ESE? We expanded it even more! The day came and Travis came and we grilled and had a great lunch. This year, we wanted to do it again. We invited all our kids, plus a few extras. As our ISS aide was calling around to see if businesses would donate food, she hit upon Walmart. One of our student's fathers is a big wig with the Mart and they wanted to do something for the community. They brought hot dogs, burgers, buns, ALL the toppings, chips, sodas, etc. They even grilled the meat and served. What a great service they did. It was so fabulous. Then the question became, "what about Travis?" My student, Garrett, immediately answered, "FUNNEL CAKES!" And so, Travis came and made funnel cakes for everyone. It was a hit. One kid asked, "Do we get a whole one?" It was such a fun day. Here is Travis making funnel cakes. Oh, and it was cold and rainy! Who ever imagined it would be 60 degrees and raining days on end? Not me!I love this picture. Everyone was laughing when we took this. Mind you, I'm 5'4". This is me with Garrett and Steve. They are my really tall students. It amazes me that kids this tall will listen to me and do what I tell them to do. I've had Steve for 2 years and will miss him a lot. Garrett makes us all laugh. He called me yesterday and told me his mom wouldn't check him out from school and he had errands to run so would I please mark him "present." No. We do have a lot of fun at school.
By the way, Garrett is dressed as a dog for Senior "At your service" (AKA: slave) day. He is going to the be Heather's dog in her Little Rascals group. And another note, I'm wearing a Tshirt at school as it was "College Tshirt day" where the seniors wear the shirts of where they are going to college. The teachers are encouraged to wear their college shirts, too. I made mine last year and it is two-sided. I went to BYU. That was where I wanted to go. However, I got married and moved to Denver, so I finished up at Univ. of Colorado and the back of the shirt represents my CU days. I bought 2 shirts, cut them up, and sewed them back together.

3 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

I like the socks. They look very comfortabuhls.

You have our weather. I want it back. We have your 90 degree days up here. Come and get them asap.

Yum, funnel cakes!

Dennis said...

That's a great picture of you and your tall friends. You inherited the Ritchie "tall" gene. My uncle Louie was only 5'4" and of course mom is even shorter. You never met grandpa or grandma Ritchie but at 5'8" I towered over grandpa and grandma didn't even make it to 5 feet.
The socks look great but not in this weather thank you. 97 today, yuck!

Jen said...

What a fun way to treat your students. And whoduthunk that Wal-mart (or any local business) would be willing to offer such a service for free. I'm sad I missed Travis' funnel cakes.

The socks are cute. Love the color.