Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Birthday!!

I know I said I'd post about the house problems and post pictures, but I haven't had time, and Rozzie so so much more interesting anyway. It is Rozzie's 13th birthday tomorrow, so I thought I'd post a little journal entry from when she was born, much the same as I did with Morgan.

June 6, 1996

My Little Rosalin -

You are now eight days old and my love for you grows and grows each day. You are just a wonderful little girl. You sleep a lot and aren't nursing so well. You nurse for a few minutes and fall asleep, then want to eat a half hour later. It gets old, especially at night. Luckily, you are only up one time each night.

Let me tell you a little bit about your birth. Your pregnancy wasn't so easy. I was pretty swollen and had 6 blood transfusions (which were not fun). So, Dr. Spetalnick agreed to induce me one week early on May 29, 1996. Dad and I got to Vanderbilt at 7:30 am and got all checked in and settled. My nurse's name was Eileen and she was super. At 9:40 am they finally got the pitocin started. I thought the doc would break my water but he didn't. He was busy delivering two other babies that morning. So the contractions came, but weren't painful and didn't get me dilating. Dad and I were getting pretty bored, so at 1:05 pm, Dr. Spetalnick came over and broke my water. I knew at that point, there really was no turning back. It was kindof a scary moment. The contractions built up for a bout an hour and a half. At 2:30 I had dilated to 4 cm. By 2:45 I was asking for an epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and told me that after re-evaluating my case, they had changed their minds and decided I wasn't a good candidate for the epidural due to my low platelet count. That didn't make me too happy. I cried. At 3:00 I was moved to the birthing room and the contractions were getting very bad. I tried to focus on the windsock I could see out my window and count through the contractions. It seemed to help a little, but it was pretty crazy. At 3:30, I was at 6 cm and at 3:35 I was at 8 cm, so I was moving pretty fast at that point. I was also getting more and more hysterical. I had such an urge to push but they kept telling me not to; I did a little, but anyway - I couldn't help it. Finally, I was at 10 cm and in 3 pushes, you were out (4:17). After push #2, Dr. S. said you'd be here on the next contraction, so I sat up and pushed you out (TMI). My first reaction was surprise at your dark hair. I was excited about that. Then someone confirmed that you were a girl. It was such a relief to have you out! I had a minor tear - your elbow got caught. Dad cut your cord (wrapped around the neck twice) and then you were handed off to the Pediatric group to get some blood out of you. After a few minutes, I got to hold you for a moment, then you were taken off to NICU until your platelet count was back and normal. I had some hemorrhaging troubles but all was taken care of. (She was born posterior, hence the increased pain and I refused to stop bleeding.) I was ordered to stay in bed for 24 hours. It wasn't until 9:00 that night that I was moved to my room and reunited with you. Aunt Karen and Savana were here watching Morgan and so they were at the hospital visiting. Morgan was so thrilled to have a baby sister. She loved you and loved you. The days in the hospital moved quickly and how were are home trying to adjust.

When you are awake and alert, you look around and are so curious. Your eyes are dark and beautiful. Your tiny little body is such a miracle. I look forward to getting to know your spirit!

July 1998 -
Mom: Do you like your ice cream?
Roz: I like it ice cream, at home, at school, at play.

October 1999 - Grandma and Grandpa Smith are visiting. You love to sit with them and color or read or look at pictures. You were with Grandpa on the bed and your friend, Mariah Johnson came over and walked in. You said, "This is my Grandpa, Go AWAY!" Grandpa was carrying you down the stairs and he missed the last step. He fell and hurt his knee and tore his pants. You bonked your head. Down in the basement, Grandma and I heard the thud and came running. You were pretty scared. The next time you were with Grandpa and he was going to carry you downstairs, you said, "I can go down myself."

July 2000 - Grandpa Olsen's granddaughter (Brittany) slept overnight while we were visiting. She is about 13 or 14. She was so nice to you girls and you all just loved her and wanted to sit by her. After I put you to bed you asked me if she was the Brittany who sings, "Oops, I did it Again." You were thinking we had Britney Spears over for entertainment!

September 17, 2000 - Daddy was watching football - Miami vs. Baltimore
Roz: Who's winning
Dad: Miami
Roz: What color is your Ami

May 2001:
Roz: Mom, did you kill this chicken?
Mom: No, not this one (I've never killed any)
Roz: Who killed it?
Mom: The chicken farmers
Roz: Like on "Chicken Run"?
Mom: Yes
Roz: Why isn't there any blood on the food?
Mom: Most people don't like a lot of blood on their food.
Roz: Oh. What do they do with all the blood?
Mom: They pour it out.
Roz: Where?
Mom: At the chicken farm.
Roz: oh.

June 2001:
Dad: Do you believe in Jesus?
Roz: Yes, and I also believe in Santa Claus

August 2001:
Grandma O: What are you going to wear on the first day of school?
Roz: School clothes.

I could go on. Thanks for reading. Happy Birthday, Rozzie!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

What a sweet tribute to Rozzie. She has grown into such a lovely young woman. Happy Birthday, Roz!

Jessie said...

Aw, happiest of birthdays to Rozzie!

Shoebox Princess said...

Happy birthday to Rozzie!

Love the stories!

Jessie said...

Can I also say, I love the name Rosalin. I'm jealous you got to it first.

TeamCar said...

I love LOVE all the fun things you post about your family.. and the goings ons. You truly are gifted in your wrriting!