Friday, May 25, 2012

A is for Apple

I am just about to finish my 4th year as a licensed teacher.  I taught one year, full-time, before that.  I cannot believe I have stuck it out this long.  At our school, each year at the last faculty meeting, Mr. Ward (our principal) hands out a few red apples.  They are polished stone and are quite nice.  Last year, I commented to my dear friend and mentor, Heather, that I thought I was about ready for an apple.  Then I took on cheerleading.  I have a challenging student population.  I took on an extra class this year:  In addition to English III and English IV, I taught Fashion Design 2, 3, & 4.  I had cheer.  I do the barbecue each year.  I don't ever expect or even desire the Teacher of the Year status.  I don't even need to be a finalist for that.  I just wanted an apple.  I got an apple!!
Working for public schools, we don't get any bonuses.  There are very few pats on the backs.  Mostly, teachers are made out to be idiots by the media.  It was a good feeling that my principal thought I had done a good job this year and had gone above and beyond my regular duties.  It made me feel pretty good.  I just had to share that.

5 comments:

Jen said...

You certainly did deserve that apple. Everytime I talked to you, you were stressing about some new school responsibility you so graciously accepted. Congrats to you!

TeamCar said...

Congrats Jen!!! You are amazing!!

Dennis said...

That is a lovely apple and well deserved, I'm sure.

Shoebox Princess said...

B is for Beautiful
C is for Congratulations
D is for Darned good job
E is for Excellent
F is for Feel good about yourself
G is for Gorgeous apple
H is for Heavy--as in I bet it is heavy
I is for I want one
J is for Jenni
K is for Kite flying (which has nothing to do with the subject)
L is for Literary-ness, which is one of the subjects you teach
M is for Minnesota, as in you'll be here soon
N is for Next time make them give you more money
O is for OMG you've taught for five years all ready?
P is for Pep, which is what all cheerleaders need
Q is for Qboda which is some sort of restaurant
R is for Rah rah rah!
S is for me of course
T is for They said thanks!
U is for Uranium...bomb (you need to know Spongebob to get that one)
V is for Very good
W is for Winner
X is for a different way of spelling Excellent which is not usually teacher approved
Y is for Yellow my favorite color
Z is for Zachariah (which is a post-apocalyptic YA novel I read when I was a teenager)

Laura Copeland said...

Way to go, Jenni! Seriously, you have had such a busy year and done such a great job, you certainly deserved that apple!