Saturday, October 15, 2011

Rise and Shout, the Cougars are Out!!

After an afternoon of rest and relaxation, kindof, it was time to meet up with the girls AND Katie and get ready for the game. Morgan had to go to practice. Katie went and met up with her friends that she went to the game with.
We went to the stadium and got family pictures by the cougar (it was a gift from the class of 1965). Here is Morgan in her finery, by the official mascot. (Exciting moment)

Here are Travis, Roz, & Maddie with the unofficial mascot. Funny thing is, he wasn't one of the young students. He had a wife and kids. I found that funny.

Before the game, the band marches to the stadium from the practice field and they stop right in front of the cougar and play a few songs. It was a late game and so it was dark. But it was sure fun to see them all do their thing. Then they march onto the field for the pre-game show where they make a big "Y" and then spell out "COUGARS". Then they line up down at the end of the field where the players enter the field. Travis went down near the field and got some really great pictures of Morgan. This is when they made the big "Y" and the tubas and colorguard make a big oval around the letter.

It was a chilly night and our sweatshirts weren't quite enough, so the girls got new sweatshirts. I guess some of that is their official indoctrination to the BYU idea. They really loved it there. I think, like Morgan and like me, they like the idea of doing something different than the rest of their friends. They love the mountains and the change of climate. Change is good.



Here is a shot of the half-time show. I liked the last song the best, but I can't remember what it was!! It was so much fun to watch the band. Oh, the game was good, too. BYU won.

Maddie was determined to get a foam finger. She is very proud of it. She was able to point at many things with it.

Barb and Gary were seated a few seats down from us. Rick, Holly, Autumn, Brooklyn, and Preston came and enjoyed the game with us. It was chilly, but not as chilly as we look. It was pretty decent. I was almost too warm.



After the game, the band marched out and stopped in front of the cougar again and played three songs. They got really loud and seemed to have a great time. Again, my favorite was the last song they played. Then they sang the alma mater. That was really nice. I am so glad we were able to go out and see her in her new habitat. She seems to have acclimated well and loves her new life. Seeing her march was wonderful.


We got home super late on Sunday night and had to hit the ground running for Monday. It was homecoming week. What a doozy. Pictures to follow!!

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Maddie will find many uses for a foam finger. It is the must-have accessory for this fall.

What a fun trip you have had! I'm glad you got to check in on my kid too.

I got all cozy seeing pictures of you all wrapped up in sweatshirts and blankets--it made me want hot cocoa!

Yay for Marching Morgan!

Jen said...

What a fun time, and how awesome that Kate got to be there, too. Now this is a football game I don't think I'd mind sitting through.

Jake and Steph said...

Sounds like fun times for all. I know what you mean about kids just wanting to do things that are different than what their friends do. I don't recall if I told my friends, "hey guess what? I'm going to Foley this weekend. I'm gonna eat my food in a stairway and then pick up cans from the side of the road on the way home" I might tell them that now.

Sounds like quite a time.

Laura Copeland said...

All of the pictures of the football game made me homesick for the years that we took our kids to the games! Those were some great days! Now my sons take their kids each week with them, and the grandkids love it as much as our kids did. It was so fun seeing Morgan out on the field. I always look for the big tuba--sometimes I swear I see her when the band is marching and the commentators are talking. I wish they would just televise the whole halftime. I love the halftime! I'm so glad your family all got to go together and see Morgan.