Monday, August 1, 2011

Shrimp Sandwich...

I was fortunate enough to get a little quilting in before school started. I had been saving these fabrics for just the right project. He was born in July. James Brannan is the proud owner of this here quilt. I have made a number of these quilts - I really like this pattern.
Here is a close up of the background fabric - primary colors, polka dots. These are a few of my favorite things!!While at the quilt store, I noticed this little table runner kit. It was just the right thing to change up my table. It was way cheaper than a new table!! My mantra has always been, "When in doubt, make another purple quilt." This one also had green which is my favorite combination with purple. It was a quick foundation pieced project. The foundation included the batting and backing so it was quilted when it was finished!! For the backing, I used a fabric that I have had since before I was pregnant with Morgan. Pretty proud of using that up!!


And here is what it looks like on the table. It even matches my laptop.

Travis was invited to go shrimping with a man he has been visiting with the missionaries. He was all set to go Friday night. Maddie kept hinting that it sounded like fun. I asked her if she wanted to go and she said yes. So she went. She had a great time and never even complained. She doesn't want to eat it, but she enjoyed the experience. They didn't get home until 2 am!!

Travis and I spent Saturday morning cleaning shrimp. I was pretty proud of myself for getting my hands dirty. We cooked some up, froze some, and gave some away. Travis wasn't thrilled to clean the shrimp until I mentioned that it was kindof nice to sit together for a few hours and talk. Then he didn't seem to mind it so much!! Patrick was very interested in the shrimps. We gave him a few to bat around. He had a good time with them!!


Shrimping is really a way of life for some folk here. Apparently, there was a very large gathering and people just treated it like a social get-together. I would suspect that shrimping is like gardening. People gather as much as possible, and freeze it for the year. Not a bad idea!!

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

The quilt is adora-tastic and fantasta-dorable!!!! I cannot put enough exclamation points on the end of the previous sentence, and I can't make up enough words that mean "really awesomely cute." And the table runner is so very you.

Love the pic of Maddie shrimping! (and of Patrick checking out the shrimp). Fun-ness!

I'd eat a shrimp. Or two. Or three pounds.

Jen said...

What a cute quilt! I'm sure James will love it. You know my girls still have and regularly use their quilts and blankies that they got from their anuties. The ones Sara made are always a staple for car trips and usually stay in the car under seats for any late nights or chilly times, and the quilts you made stay close to bed.

Mike always enjoyed shrimping when we lived in SC. I always enjoyed the reward. You definitely should save some for the future to try different shrimp dishes...shrimp gumbo, shrimp cocktail, shrimp creole, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich, stir-fried, deep fried, shrimp kebobs, boiled, broiled, baked, sauteed, and bbq. That should get you started:)

Jessie said...

I LOVE THE QUILT!!! (and James does too!) It is so amazing and I'm so flattered that you'd make one for my little man - he's so lucky!

And the picture of Patrick cracks me up - kitties sure do love their seafood!

Jake and Steph said...

I'd go shrimping in a second! I might pass on the quilting store; however. You may have to figure out a way to combine the two activities into one uber-exciting activity.

Dennis said...

The quilt is really many gooder than what I could have did.

When I was about 12 I went to a restaurant with my grandpa & grandma Ritchie. We all had shrimp and I just loved it. Then on the drive home I got carsick and ralphed the whole dinner up. Ever since then I can't stand the smell, taste or sight of shrimp, lobster or crab. I love fish but just not those kinds.

Word verification: absess