Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Cats Will Need to Find a New Litterbox

The cats are going to have to come up with another option for a bathroom. Some of you know that we have had a big naked spot in the yard since June. The winter was pretty tough on yards and our lovely St. Augustine grass (up north it is called "crab grass") died and was taken over by weeds. This was common all over the area. People are pretty frustrated. You would think that a yard would be easy to maintain in our climate. Actually, it is REALLY hard; nigh impossible. Travis raked up all the weeds, put down killer, tilled the dirt, killed weeds again. Then he went out of town for a long time. This was the first weekend he had available to get back to the yard. Despite the 97 degree temperature, he got really busy today and resodded the yard. It looks really good and it is nice to have that on its way to being lush and green!


This next picture is just a shot to show our "Firecracker" crepe myrtle with the dark red flowers. It is one of my favorite colors for these trees.


Rozzie was at dance camp this week in Daytona. Within the first hour, she sprained her right index finger playing balloon volleyball in her dorm. Another girl "smacked it." It was swollen and purple all week, but she taped it up and didn't complain. Her coach gave her a special award for hard work and dedication. One of the afternoons at camp, the girls have a themed costume party. This year the theme was sports and our girls chose...Quidditch, of course. They divided up into Hogwarts houses and decorated shirts. Their little brooms were so cute. They were little plastic brooms and the girls sure had a fun time.















Last, but certainly not least, Lisa and I went to see the movie, "Larry Crowne" yesterday and we were very much the youngest people in the theater. We giggled over that. After we came out I noticed someone had called from home. It was Maddie. Travis had set dinner on fire. Before I left for the movie, Maddie and I had made Chicken Spaghetti. She had put cheese and bread crumbs on the top and put it in the oven. I had the oven all set on "delay". Trav came home early and wanted dinner done sooner, so he turned the delay off and restarted the oven. What he didn't know is that we can't have anything in the oven when it preheats, or it burns the food. This burned it so much that the casserole ignited and scared Maddie. Travis picked the burned bread crumbs and cheese off the top and they were able to eat a delicious meal!!

2 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Those poor kitties! You have taken away their public bathroom. I don't think a yard in your area would be easy to maintain since you have to real winter to lay off it for 6 months. You have to do yard maintenance 12 months a year. Bleagh.

Love the crepe myrtle!

Poor Roz.

I'ma have to tease Travis about setting the food on fire. Silly husband. (course, I can't laugh too hard since in 7th grade, I set a hotpad on fire by accidentally putting it in the oven with the cake I was baking. Then I took a spatula and ran the fiery hotpad through the house to put it into the fireplace--it's where fire belongs, right? Mom told me I should have dumped it into the sink. Duh.)

Jen said...

I'm sure the kitties will survive. Don't they prefer sand anyway? I remember how awful the grass was down south. Not comfortable to sit or play on at all. I'll take the northern grasses anyday. Good luck in getting your yard back to the pretties.

Oooh, I've never seen the red crepe myrtles like that. Only the purple, white, and pink varieties. Just gorgeous!

Sorry to hear about Maddie's finger. That's a bummer, but she sure sounds like a trooper. I probably would have let it ruin my entire camp experience (I was a big baby like that).

Travis! Thank goodness you didn't burn the house down.