Saturday, August 14, 2010

Project Bedroom and Other Tasks Along the Way

As Monday starts the new school year, and it is Morgan's senior year, I will start off here with a picture of Morgan at Florida State University. Travis has taken her on a few school visits this summer. She has been to BYU numerous time and it is her first choice, so she did not go on a visit there. Travis took her to University of Florida in June, but I haven't seen a picture. I have heard there is one somewhere, though. More recently, they visited FSU in Tallahassee and Morgan really liked it there. They had a dorm room set up to see - cleaner than any dorm room really is - and on the desk, plugged into an iPod, was a pair of Skullcandy headphones. Anyway, she loved the campus and had a great day there with her dad.
In other breaking news, Duckie is not dead!! Duckie is alive and well and running around the neighborhood. She has been adopted by another family around the corner from us. We figure she ventured out one night and they picked her up, because she really never left our back yard. Maddie brought her home and kept her in for a day. It was obviously her from her close-set, slightly crossed (but ever-so-cute) eyes. I made them put her out at night. She didn't stay around, but we have seen her out and about.
Morgan was very patient and committed and she knit her dad a pair of socks for Father's Day. They weren't done by then, but they did get finished eventually. She did a fabulous job on them and I'm very proud of her. Travis likes them, too!!
It was my goal to redecorate Rozzie's room over the summer. Rozzie had made a quilt. I had painted the room. Now it was time to act. So, over the last two weeks of summer, I shopped and sewed and painted. This is a close up of a pillow I sewed. It was a mess to sew, but it is a really wonderfully tactile pillow. It feels like a dog.
Here is the full size shot of it. It didn't take long to sew, but the fabric was hard to deal with. The fur was all over the place. It actually took me longer to locate my pins than it did to sew the dang thing!
I bought this pillow, but thought I'd show you a close up. Again, it feels like a dog, but is really super wonderful.
Then came the task of painting flowers and paisleys on Rozzie's wall that are similar to the ones in her quilt. I took the fabric to school and put it under the document camera and projected it up on the board and traced!! Just like the olden day opaque projectors!! Lani and I spent a few days working on all this. I love how it all turned out.
Rozzie came home and was in heaven! She loved it all.
And here is the nearly finished product. The lanterns are hung with yarn right now; I need to get one more extension cord. Target is such a great store!! Most of the odds and ends were from there. Pillows from Pier 1. And notice Rozzie's wonderful quilt!!
I am so happy to have accomplished that task!!
In other news, I went back to work this past week. I was one day ahead of the game by having my room set up before going back. It paid off because I ended up very sick all week with little energy and thus I still stayed late on Friday night. But I am ready for the critters to show up on Monday!!
Rozzie and Morgan had their orientation on Thursday. It was fun to take Rozzie and her friends around the high school - kindof surreal, too. She is so ready to play in the big leagues. She loves dance team, so far. They had their pictures on Thursday and it really hit me that she was in high school seeing her running around in the uniform! Morgan and her friends didn't need me to show them around, although I did take her to one class. Morgan has had marching practice all week and tonight we go to the band barbecue to see the new show!! She also got her parking pass for the SENIOR lot.
Maddie had her junior high orientation yesterday and is really excited about moving up in society. She has her gym uniform - that is a definite sign of maturity.
At the end of the day, Trav and the girls came to see me at school. Trav helped me with a project that needed two people. And now we relax for a couple days before it begins - the 2010-2011 school year in which Morgan graduates.

1 comment:

Shoebox Princess said...

If Morgan ever wants to visit an MN school campus, she can stay at our place!

Glad to hear that Duckie is alive.

Nice socks! Kudos to Morgan for keeping at it.

Rozzie's room is cool. I wish computers and pictures had tactile capabilities so I could feel the pillows.

And this begins the fastest year of school for you as a parent--that of a senior year of one of your children. It will whizz by in no time. And you will feel old. And marginal. But proud and happy because you remember how happy you were at your own graduation and you know your child feels the same way.

PS I'm already sorting out Paul's pictures in anticipation for 2012.