Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Utah Trip - 2010 - Part II: The Green River

I will honestly say that I didn't want to go on this trip. I had just driven from St. George to Syracuse (Utah) to Park City on Friday. I didn't want to go another 3 1/2 hours to the Green River. But the plan was in motion. We had to get up at 4 on Saturday and be packed up. I was not excited about it. The comfort was that we were going to be traveling in Rick and Holly's new RV, which turned out to be a HUGE bus. That is the way to travel!! I slept most of the way. The kids slept. It was perfect. There was a lot of waiting when the guys were getting boats and transporting people down to the river, but once I was there, I knew I had made the right choice and that it was well worth the sacrifice. Oh, and the river is GREEN!! It was spectacular. The cliffs raise straight up from the river. The area is called Flaming Gorge for its red rocks. There was a short but steep trail to take down to the river and here is a view from the top:
Holly and I got such a kick out of this warning sign. I realize that some letters are missing, but you still get the idea. I think they pretty much cover all situations here.
We had to wait for Rick to drop the car off at the end point and hitchhike back to the beginning. The girls sat in Rick's drifter talking and eating all the cookies!!
We went on this trip because Rick and Holly's friends from Norway wanted to do some river rafting. Everyone refers to them as "The Norwegians" but they are Kenneth and Katrine, and their sons Alexander and Deitrich. They manned the raft with the rest of the kids (Autumn, Donie (A's friend), Brooklyn, Maddie, & Preston). Rick, Holly, and I rode the drifter. The kids did take turns riding the drifter, too.
We'd pull out along the way and have snacks and do a little fishing. Here is Maddie and I resting on a rock. Maddie had a great time riding the river. She smiled all day.
The wildlife was friendly and well fed. They came expecting handouts. I would love to make this photo into a card. I am taking suggestions for an inscription!!
Here are the girls at another pull out, waiting for us to catch up!
We did a little fishing along the way. Autumn was thrilled with her catch!
Near the end of the 7 mile run, Rick grilled up ribs, shrimp, and hot dogs. There was potato salad and oreos on the side! It was SO delicious. It got a little stormy at this point and there was a lot of lightning - we saw the resultant brush fires on our way out of the park.

I am so happy that I went along and did this. It was a beautiful day. I love experiencing new things and this was one of those things! The water was like emeralds in the rapids. We went back to the camp ground and the Norwegians had reserved one of the two permanent trailers on site. We spent a long time checking out the gift shop - it was rather interesting with camoflage baby gift sets. Rick got out some fireworks he had along. We spent the night in the RV and I slept like a log!! I fell asleep while people were still up and walking around. I love being that tired - means I was adequately engaged for the day!! Thanks to Rick and Holly for a memorable trip. I definitely want the rest of my family to experience the Green River!!

5 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

Oh, this looks like so much fun! I'm surely glad you all decided to go because it will certainly be something you will all remember forever! (Right now, that cool water looks very enticing!)

Shoebox Princess said...

Did the river have rapids? It looks like a great way to spend part of a vacation. Did Rick bring all the food and equipment on the boats?

The chipmunk looks like he's playing a tiny harmonica.

Jenni said...

The cool water was wonderful!! The river has rapids, but not bigguns. It was enough to make it exciting, but not frightening! And yes, Rick brought the food in 2 coolers and a little hibachi grill on the drifter - not on the raft. It all worked very well.

Jen said...

What a fun adventure! I wish it was something we had done while in UT, but I don't think Violet can quite grasp a row good enough yet. Your pictures really do capture the emerald green of the river. So beautiful.

Also so glad we got to see you in UT. What a treat for us this summer to visit with you 2X!

TeamCar said...

VERY fun!!! Glad you enjoyed your trip.