Sunday, May 23, 2010

Oats, Peas, Beans, and Barley Grow

LOOK!! It is growing!! At the back center, you can see that we need to get some serious poles for our beans. I don't know that we'll get much iwth carrots, and one pea plant died. But everything else seems healthy. Peppers are coming along, too. And the cukes!
And look! A reddening tomato! I'm so excited to eat it. However, there are concerns. The flowers on the plants keep dying, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear from you. There is one other tomato (you can see it right behind Ol' Red). I'm still so happy that we have some food growing.
This, my friends, is a soy bean. It is the only one, so far, but it is there and it means success. The girls want to have edamame. Now I just have to look up how to prepare it and if edamame is just steamed beans. So much to learn. Isn't it adorable?
And here is a picture of the cucumber flowers. Aren't they lovely? I can't wait to have fresh cukes for salads!
That is all for now on the garden. Next up is a quilt I made for my new nephew, Austin Hawley. It was actually done awhile ago, but as he was just born and the quilt just sent off, I couldn't very well post it until now. It is very soft - minkie fabric and I love the colors. It is a very simple pattern, but the minkie stuff was a booger to sew!! The bonus is that I get to meet Austin in just a few weeks!!





6 comments:

Jen said...

Hooray for your growing garden. I'm sure it's quite difficult with the heat and humidity down there. Good for you for working so hard to make it happen.

Such a cute quit. I hope I'll get to see it in person. I hear ya on sewing with minky fabrics. I made a couple of blankets with the ribbed and nipple (should I even be typing that here), and my machine was full of dust and it kept getting caught.

Shoebox Princess said...

Good job with the garden! Any amount of food grown makes a person feel like they've accomplished something! I just put in pumpkins, two rows of carrots and some yellow wax beans and some purple beans. Enjoy the soybean!

That is a fab quilt! I love those minkie fabrics and almost wish I had babies so I had a valid reason to have more minkie stuff around (both the ribbed and the nipple ones! Hahahahaha, Jen!)

Can't wait for both of you to come for a visit!

Dennis said...

I haven't had success with tomatos for many years. They flower and then the flower dies and falls off. Out of 3 plants we got 3 tomatos. I know they like a lot of sun but even in the direct sun my green thumb turns brown. Soybeans? we have acres and acres of them here.

TeamCar said...

Wow.. that looks great! The Quilt is fabulous too.

I'm afraid my sewing days are over. I still crochet baby blankies.. but that is getting to be a rare thing for me as well.

FUN!

Laura Copeland said...

Wow! A real Florida garden! We tried and it didn't work out so well--we will have to learn all your secrets. And I love your quilt--like I said, you can do anything!

Mikkyn said...

I love the cute quilt. I love the baby quilt tradition you do. It is such a neat thing. My kids all sleep with the quilts you made them.
I have a great idea for you...Next year when you go to Prom you should crochet your dress. What do you think?