Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'm a Beaver...You're a Beaver...

I taught that song to my 2nd level girls at camp and it became a favorite. That's right, last week was Jacksonville Florida West Stake's Girl's Camp! It is always a good time. We go to a state park about 80 miles west of Jacksonville. The way we run camp here reminds me of the camp in the movie "Parent Trap." It is very organized and done on a stake level. The girls stay in cabins with a cabin leader (I was a cabin leader last year). The girls go to classes taught by "camp crafters" (which is what I did this year) for each year of camp. As I said, I was over 2nd level - mostly 13 year old, 8th grade girls. The girls do this for 4 years, as outlined in the camp manual and then their last two years are spent as junior counselors. Morgan was a JC this year and was assigned to a 3rd level cabin. The kids have such a great time. I just can't say that enough. Anyway, I'll just post the pictures. There are too many stories to tell them all. I had a grand time. It was hot. It was buggy. We were stinky. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. This is a picture of our ward that was at camp - girls, leaders, etc. We have a pretty good group and they all get along so well. I just love these people!!
This is a sign on the way into the park. I figure there is a joke behind it, but I don't know what it is. I think it is funny. This is the cabin I stayed in with 9 other ladies. We had a good time. We had a kitchen, but didn't use it. Mostly we used the fridge. The past couple years, there wasn't enough water in the river for the girls to swim. We prayed and prayed for rain this year and boy did we get it. (See my post about the rain and Maddie's room.) This year the river was too high and the risk was too great for people being swept away in the current. The river comes to an end at a sink hold and so being sucked down there would be The End. A lady in the stake brought this pool for the girls to swim in - it was great. Wednesday night, we were all so hot, so I suggested we take a swim in the pool. We went out at about 11:30 and sat in the pool for about an hour. It was the best thing we did all week. I slept so good after that.It is really fun to be at camp with the girls. I try to stay out of their business. I had a number of people say that it wasn't until the end of the week that they realized I was Morgan or Rozzie's mom. So, I think I did a pretty good job of distancing myself. I can't wait until next year when Maddie is at camp, too!!These are my good friends Lani and Donna. It is great to hang out with them for the week. I had just gotten back from my 5 mile hike and so was really icky at the time. I loved my new hat, though - very stylish!One night we have a dance and the girls have such a great time - without boys!! Here is Rozzie with some of her friends at the dance.Here is Morgan and some of her friends!!Skit night is a favorite of all the girls. This year was especially good. The skits were short and really funny. Here is Morgan with one of her three skit groups! They were Smurfs.Here is Rozzie's skit. She is the one in the blue with her arms out. They got the theme of "My Pretty Pony." They rewrote a bunch of Disney songs to include ponies. It was one of the top two skits. This is a picture of some of my level 2 girls. Their cabin counselors made these little cars for the girls. They came in to eat with them one day and were so cute!!
This was the last day and everyone was happy to be going home to a shower and air conditioning! The people here are McCall, Morgan, Lani, Ashley, and Elizabeth. Rozzie made buddies with this girl, Lyndzie (who is a senior) and they had a great time together. They think this picture is really funny.

See, it was so fun!! I can't wait to go back next year with Maddie and even Travis. Travis is planning to go and work in the kitchen so we can all be there together. Yay!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

That looks like such a fun time. I hope when my girls are old enough to go to girls' camp that I'll get called to be part of the camp somehow. I always loved going to camp as a kid.

Shoebox Princess said...

I'm a yellow-bellied sapsucker!

Glad you had fun at camp!

TeamCar said...

I would love to hear that I'm a Beaver, You're a Beaver song....

Loved looking at the pics. Claire goes to Ward Camp on Monday. We'll see how THAT goes.