Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Grand Finale

It was very exciting, as it was 2 years ago, to go to BYU to see Morgan's concerts at the end of a week of camp!! Katie and I got to BYU and the choir was practicing. So, here is a picture of Morgan with her mouth open, singing - just like she is supposed to do!!
As always, the kids did a great job. The symphony was great. It is truly amazing what they can do with only 5 days of practice. The high light was John Williams' "Superman March." It was a crowd pleaser! Morgan had a good time, learned new things, and made more friends. I am grateful she has the opportunity to go out there for this camp. I tell people it is like EFY for musicians. It was fun to see her again. What really made Morgan happy was that SO MANY people showed up to see her perform. We went out to dinner at the Brick Oven after wards and we had to get a table for a party of 17!!! Katie came with me; Mom and Dad Smith came up from St. George; Karen, Peyton, & Journey came from Pocatello; Dave, Austin, Tyler, Kaitlin, & Chloe came from Syracuse (UT); and Rick, Holly, Autumn, Brooklyn, & Preston came from Park City. A big thanks to EVERYONE for taking the time to travel to Prove and come see Morgan. That means a lot to us!

Morgan is really close to Katie, so they had fun together. Morgan and Peyton have always gotten along great and so that was great to see them together again. Here is Peyton, Karen, Morgan, Katie, and Journey! She is adorable!! She looks so much like Rozzie - we all thought so!
Here is the group. This is all the family:Here the kids are at the Alden's going off to get movies late at night!! All the kids are so grown up and have a lot of fun together. We have Tyler, Morgan, Autumn, Brooklyn, Preston, & Katie!
We made a stop at the Skullcandy office and Morgan had a great time riding the bike around the office!! There is also a wheelchair in the office and Brooklyn had that at the top of the half pipe and we were all a little nervous about that, but she survived!!Father's Day dinner in Park City. I'm so glad Katie spent the weekend with us - thank you!!
OK. So at the time we were happily eating dinner, I should have been driving to the airport. I had mis-read the itinerary and when I discovered my mistake, it was too late and the world and I fell apart. No flights until Monday night. I was charged $600 for new plane tickets. I cried for about 2 hours. Holly came in and patted my leg while I broke the news to Travis. Alden's had to go to a family Father's Day gathering and we were invited, but I just needed some down time. Morgan and I went on a walk and then we shared a little Chinese food. I did some knitting and Morgan played Guitar Hero. We got over it. Monday morning, Holly, Brooklyn, Morgan, and I rode our bikes to the Redstone shopping area and walked around a bit and had some Japanese food for lunch.

After that, Morgan and I were finally on our way to the airport. The flight to Vegas was just fine but that is where it ended. The Vegas to Atlanta and Atlanta to Jacksonville was awful. The flights were 100% full. I got the middle seat both legs. On the red-eye from Vegas, the lady next to me was rather drunk. She wasn't obnoxious or anything, but she smelled so bad, i could hardly stand it. I didn't sleep a wink all night. I think a 3-leg trip is one leg to much for me. I was sick to my stomach and had a headache all day. I had no appetite either - which never happens. I'm recovering and I slept very well last night.

Now I am home to get to my summer break!! I have a lot of things I want to do, but first, we must clean. I did a lot of that today. It feels good to be home and especially to see Travis and Maddie - I haven't really seem them for 2 weeks!

While we were in Utah, the two stakes here in Jacksonville were split up and a third stake was created. Our ward was lopped off to the new South Stake!! It is very exciting. Some of the lines and divisions were surprising, but we are ready for something new and different!! The girls were devastated by the fact that they will be not be in the West Stake's Girl's Camp next year. But I tried to emphasize that they won't be in the East Stake either - we'll be doing something new with the best of both!! Then the big news came in that East Stake was inviting all the new South Stake girls to their camp so they can start meeting their new friends!! Both Morgan and Roz were thrilled with the idea of going back to camp regardless of who's camp it is!! So, we are letting them go. Morgan is off work next week, so why not? They can't wait. They won't know many people so this will be very different. I think it will be a great experience.

That is the news for tonight!!

3 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

First of all, good for Morgan to have had a fab time at music camp. Camp of any kind (especially in dorms) is awesome.

Second, thanks for posting pictures of Katie. I like any chance to get a glimpse of what she is doing. And thanks for inviting her to come for the weekend. She lives for that kind of thing.

Third, glad you are home well and happy and things turned out ok. Not as planned, but nevertheless, ok.

Fourth, yay for more camp!

Jen said...

What fun! How cool that you guys got to meet up with Katie, too. I'm sure Katie was thrilled to have extended come see her on her turf.

TeamCar said...

Fun trip Jen! Red eyes are always strange trips.. I was flying back from Boston in April... and there was a guy next to that was sick. I was afraid he'd throw up on me. I was SO nervous.. he would try to lay his head down and get near me.. and then have this nervous little cough.. that always tells me HIT THE DECK! I've had enough kids do that to know when they throw up! lol

Great pics of everyone. I thought Journey l looked a little like Roz too.

We have bought SO many skullcandy earphones its not even funny. I use them when I perform live to hear my mixes so I don't lose my mind on stage! Tell them that if you wish. They are THE best earbuds on the market imho.. MUCH better than Shure's products or Sony.

Lots of hugs and hurray for more camp!