Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hate Mail

Nothing says "Christ-like love" like hate mail from someone at church, right? Well, it has been one week since the letter arrived in my mailbox. It arrived in a white security envelope with my name and address pasted on the front, so as not to have any handwriting. The sender certainly did not want to expose themselves up front! By the way, they spelled my name with a "y" instead of an "i" which is what I changed it to in 8th grade for some reason and I've just never gone back. My mom still writes it with a "y" and I really don't care how people spell it - it still means "me."

The letter starts out "Dear Jenny," and ends, "A Disheartened member." The author is redundant, repeating herself (I'm sure it's a her) over and over, saying the same thing multiple times. (Yes, that was intentional) The gist of the letter is that, according to "everyone" the author has talked to, I gossip. Hypocritical? I have no "caring or sympathy in my heart for others who are less fortunate" and I "think I am better than they." I am teaching our Young Women to back stab and everyone in the stake hates our spoiled brats. It goes on for an entire page.

Really.

I have many feelings on this. I have talked with a lot of people and shown many people the letter and even made copies. If you would like one, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to... I really am not intimidated by one who would not put their name to their words. It is very cowardly and immature. The author states multiple time how "everyone" they talk to says the same thing. The pot doth call the kettle black. I wish I could say that I NEVER talk about anyone, but I think most of us can attest to the crime of gossip. However, I can state that I do not say mean, ugly things. I may think them on occasion, but I don't generally talk it up! I am grateful for a ward FULL of friends who have been supportive of me through this. I can honestly say that I feel pretty good about myself after talking with my friends. They have said really nice things about me and the most common thought is, "this person does not know you."

I have not lost any sleep over this letter. I thought I might, but last Tuesday, I feel right asleep. I have not shed one tear over this letter. A few years ago I might have, but I feel that I am too old for this kind of nonsense and unless they can say it to my face, it is not worth feeling bad about. The author stated, "This is not a personal attack on you..." But it was. Clearly. I just can't imagine that someone is sitting at home worrying this much about me. I certainly am not worrying about anyone else this much. I have spent this entire year doing school work, trying to find time for my family, and fulfilling my church callings. Notice the plural on calling"S". I hardly have time fro friends, much less enemies. I don't even feel like I really have enemies, I thought I got along with people just fine. Who in their right mind considers me enough to write a full page letter?

So there you have it. I hope your week was wonderful. For all my friends and family out there, know that I truly do love you and appreciate you. Thank you for making me feel loved and appreciated, too! Next time you get mad at someone and are considering "What Would Jesus Do?," the answer is not anonymous hate mail.

8 comments:

Jen said...

You already know how I feel about this, and you stated my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine thinking about someone so much so (other than my own family) that I'd feel compelled to type an anonymous letter and mail it. Heck, I can't even remember to mail the 2 rebates sitting on my desk.

I'm glad to see that you aren't letting this ridiculous thing get you down.

Dennis said...

I'm so sorry that someone was so cowardly and unthoughtful to do such a thing. You are a fun and funny person and I just can't imagine someone doing that to anot5her person. You have been a great Mom to your girls. However, it is also difficult to get over something like this. It is easy to sit back and say "don't let it bother you" but, in fact It still does hurt that someone could be so insensitive.
Just know that you are loved for who and what you are and there is no need to change anything about you.
I received a similar letter many years ago but the sender signed it and I understood why the sender felt that way.
Time wounds all heels.

Shoebox Princess said...

I'm sending you a letter, but I signed it and included a return address.

Isn't it nice that for the one hate letter you got, you have many more friends rushing to your side? :)

Tina Johnson said...

They obviously don't know you. Love you buckets and can't wait to see you in June!

Jessie said...

Oh man! I can't believe that!!! She sounds majorly immature and hypocritical. Props to you for keeping your head up and not letting it bother you (I'd be a mess if I were in your shoes).

I'm on Team Jenni!

mastubz said...

Wow - that stinks! I have composed many an anonymous letter in my head, but have never sent one, as it is the mark of supreme cowardice. There is one thing worse than getting an anonymous letter, and that is being accused of sending one. Someone held a grudge against me for a long time, thinking I sent them cowardly letter telling them their organ playing stunk! Sheesh - it wasn't me!!

TeamCar said...

Lots of hugs Jenni....

You are VERY down to earth and clearly that person has no guts. I have had people tell me to my face they didn't like me. I am like.. ok. NEXT!!!! Life is too short.

Love ya...

K

Jake and Steph said...

Being the target of another person's envy and scorn is a tough position to hold. I'm sure that you feel even better about your family, friends, deeds, etc. now that someone has recognized all of your talents. Congratulations and job well done from a non-anonymous. You should feel proud and walk with head held high for even your "enemy" cannot deride you without recognizing your accomplishments. It's too bad you don't know who it is so you can thank them. Take it easy, JEn

Jake