Sunday, March 6, 2011

On the Edge of Art

This weekend was Maddie's turn. As you may or may not know, we switched dance schools this past year. I won't go into the whys and wherefores. However, the new school is much more conveniently located. As a result, I finally allowed Maddie to participate in the competition team. she is thrilled about it and loves to be part of the group. This weekend was their first competition. It was over at UNF (on the other side of Jacksonville). Here we are in our Art's Edge wear, looking very supportive and all that. Maddie was in two dances. The first was a modern piece called "Rise". These are the girls that participated. They did not dance with the flowers. They were awarded a special judges choice award for the dance which is a great compliment. They were rated a "gold" status for the dance which is pretty good (it isn't platinum - but it's not a silver or bronze either).
I thought Maddie looked so pretty in this picture. Her hair is amazing. My hair has never been nice like this.
The second dance was in the "musical theater" category and they danced to "Ease on Down the Road" from "The Wiz". Again, they got a judges choice award for great characters and costumes. They scored a "gold" once again. Maddie is sitting on the floor attending to the Cowardly Lion. (The girls in black are crows) (Sara, with your keen eyes and great understanding of their nature, you might be able to spot some ticks on this picture.)

Maddie had a lot of fun. I enjoyed myself and got some knitting in.

3 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

What fun! The Rise piece looks very arty indeed.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the crows in the Wizard of Oz (having been one myself, although I never looked that good as a crow) so yay for Maddie for being a crow (and avoiding the ticks onstage!)!

Jen said...

What an amazing time for Maddie. I have to agree that she does have gorgeous hair. I'm sure she is the envy of all her friends.

Laura Copeland said...

This looks like a great dance studio with so many different types of dance. And yes, how I wish I had hair like that, too! (Plus the body!)