Monday, December 6, 2010

Work Hazzards

I was just helping out some of my students with their project. I was the "usurper". Mrs. Teto assigned her kids to make a video using some of their vocabulary words they have recently learned. We all have a "thing" going on with a trophy that was awarded at the senior kickball game last year. It tends to disappear and then pictures of it surface on facebook. So the video was about people stealing this trophy.

While filming and stealing the trophy, Graceful here trips and falls ON said trophy, breaking the trophy and nearly breaking her face!! I gave the kids an awful scare (along with poor Mr. Pandich who was chasing me). The nurse came with gauze, ice, and the wheelchair. I was on the grass on my hands and knees checking to see if my teeth were there - yep - and letting the "smart" wear off when Mr. Pandich started saying that I was bleeding. I opened my eyes and took off the bandanna (I was a thief!) and sure enough, it was nearly gushing.


Here is a catalog of the injuries:

The trophy hit my face twice, once in the lip and then it grazed the nose. Now it is all decently swollen and I have to breath out of my mouth, which I hate. I look so silly and feel even sillier. I have been icing it. I cancelled everything tonight and put Travis in charge of everything that needs doing.

I'm trying to put on a happy face. My students feel just terrible. I'm sure this will be one of those things we talk about for a long, long time.
Here is an update. I just washed my face and finally took a look in my mouth - OUCH!! No wonder it feels funny!

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Yikes! That lip looks painful! I hope you recover quickly! No more usurping for you, though!

You broke the trophy? Yeah, the students will remember that event for a LONG time.

Jen said...

Awww, you poor thing. Hopefully, you'll heal quickly. Thank goodness your students are kind-hearted enough to not tease you about it and feel genuinely sorry about the episode.

TeamCar said...

OWWWWWW!!!!!

I hope you feel better quick!!!

Laura Copeland said...

I read your latest blog before reading this one. I wondered how in the world this could happen--then I read how it did. Those kind of events are the kind you want to act like everything's okay when it definitely isn't! So sorry! Hope you are feeling better! By the way, Morgan getting accepted to two universities is so great! Way to go, Morgan!

mastubz said...

I'm sorry, I know it must have really hurt, but it did make me laugh. I'm sure you're going to make the yearbook for this one! Hope you heal quickly. Congrats to Morgan.