Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bake sale and Candy Grams

I am in charge of two Golden Girl (actually 3) fundraisers at this moment. This is not my usual "thang". Each girl is responsible for one fundraiser. I fretted for a long time and thought of ways to get out of it. Nothing realistic came to mind. So I thought real hard and had a bit of a revelation: "Candy Grams". I remember candy grams at school so I suggested it and it was approved and next week we start selling. I have been busy getting all the logistics done. The girls will sell during lunches. I hope it goes over well.

This past week, the Golden Girls hosted "Fleming Island's Got Talent" and they featured 13 acts. We were all a little nervous how this would work out. I asked the coach if she wanted me to run a bake sale/concessions just to earn a little more money. She said sure, so I put an email out to all the parents and got a few donations. We set up and sold $88 in cookies, cupcakes, brownies, rice krispie treats, popcorn balls, and water. The food was only 50 cents and the water, $1. We sold a lot of treats!! We were really pleased with the outcome. But even more surprising was the turn out for the show. We filled the cafeteria - that is right, we don't have an auditorium. The poor pianists played on a plinkety upright that wasn't quite in tune. BUT the show was great!! I really give props to these kids for putting themselves out there. In a musical or something there are others on stage with you and it is all set by a director, but these kids put themselves out there. The audience was VERY respectful - you won't always get that with a bunch of teens. A few hundred people showed up and we made over $1000 in ticket sales. It was a huge success!! What a great relief. The big surprise was that the audience was mostly teenagers - even boys!! There were very few parents/grandparents there.

AND, I am heading up an AVON order as a GG fundraiser. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll tell you where you can look online at an AVON catalog.

Last, but not least, Morgan's restaurant opened up, and she worked 3-10 that day. She gets her first paycheck today!! The place was super busy and time went by quickly. I even took a quick picture of her working. I was happy to know that I had taught her how to effectively sweep a floor and wipe a table. This is what we call a "drive by shooting."
The food was REALLY good.

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Oooo--Avon! I have pleasant memories of looking through mom's catalog brought to her by Kathy Oestrich (or however she spelled it). Provide me with a linkity please!

How lovely that you got a pic of Morgan in her 5 Guys uni! I am always sad that I never got a pic of Katie on the job with Tyrel. I do have a few pics of Jimmy pushing carts though. And some that he took himself.

Yay for profitable fundraisers! They seriously have never had candy grams there?

You seriously need to get that school an auditorium. Or at least a grand piano.

Dennis said...

Slow down girl, you'll wear yourself out before your time.
Wish we had a 5 Guys here so Morgan could transfer to this store. "Drive by shooting" that's cute (as is Morgan). First paychecks are great. When my mom got her forst paycheck (in 1937) she bought her dad a rocking chair. I now have that share in my family room (I'm not suggesting anything here).

Dennis said...

That should read first paycheck and I now have that chair in my family room.

Laura Copeland said...

Wow! That was a great fundraiser! I'm impressed that they earned that much! And what a great way to involve so many kids in it rather than just having everyone pay for items. I love it! Way to go, Morgan, with your first job. That is great!