Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A New Roof

Maddie broke out in a funny rash two days ago. Last night it was bubbly and weepy. So I called the doctor today. Some of my thoughts were that might be poison oak or ivy as she was at a friend's house on Saturday and they live in a very over-grown/woodsy area. I was talking to a principal at school today and she thought it might be scabies. I know I had that in junior high (all of us from church got it!!). They (the all-powerful secretaries) found someone to cover my classes for an hour and a half and we went to the doctor. The doctor looked with a magnifying glass and looked at me like she had bad news. Maddie has shingles at the age of 12. There is a vaccine she can get when she is FIFTY. This will be a recurring problem throughout her life. Maddie had chicken pox when she was 9 months so there wasn't a need for immunization at 1 year. Poor girl. She is in a lot of pain. She asked, "Why does all the bad stuff happen to me?" I feel so bad for her. I'm sad about that today.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, poor Maddie. I wish there was something I could do or say to make her feel better. That is so not what a 12-year-old girl should be going through. I hope she can get through this and avoid any future outbreaks.

Shoebox Princess said...

Poor girl! I hope the rash goes away soon. It's hard to be the one to whom life is unfair, especially when she is young.

Laura Copeland said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I got them at 19, and I thought that was young. And yes, I have had rash problems ever since! My grandpa made me bathe in sheep dip to ease the pain--I don't suggest it. It did help, but the smell was a killer!

Dennis said...

I'm so sorry for Maddie. Life can sometimes throw a curve ball but having to deal with this at 12 is really tough. I know Maddie will cope.

TeamCar said...

Oh man!!! I am sorry this happened. Our bodies are so weird.. and we don't always know what causes this kind of stuff.

Lots of hugs to you and Maddie.