Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Ides of March

Here we are in the middle of March. Time to post again. Yesterday was my mother's birthday and we had a nice little talk on the phone. School has been busy. We did the FCAT testing. Morgan, Roz, and Maddie FCATed their hearts out. I have juniors in my testing homeroom, so they had one day of Science testing. The great state of Florida doesn't require a passing grade on the science portion so most of my class was done filling in bubbles in just a few minutes. They have no concept of taking the test seriously. There were 3 kids who cared and they were done by 9:00 AM. So I had to babysit a bunch of unruly juniors for 2+ hours. Then I was rewarded by having NO seniors during the senior classes. It is crazy that FCAT week. I had a lot of free time and I really wasted it. I sat around talking a lot. I got some work done in the mornings, but then I pooped out in the afternoon and got lazy. It was very tiring!!

Good news to report: I have only one more ACP class - this Monday afternoon!! I have hated that class. All 23 of them. I am so happy to have Mondays back. I could cry. My portfolio is almost done. I just need one observation by my peer teacher and I can get signatures and turn it in. What a waste of time that has been, also. The next hurdle is the Reading class. As of tomorrow, I will have 9 down, 5 to go. Then, starting in April, the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) class starts. It has been a rough year.

So, now for pictures!!! This is at Morgan's National Honor Society Induction (abduction). It was pretty nice. Lots of kids inducted in, the biggest class at our high school. They said that 1/3 of the sophomore class was eligible to join. That is a lot!!
Spunky has made himself a nest in the jungle in our back yard. Travis dumped a bunch of pine needles back there and Spunky (aka Sausage) has molded it perfectly to suit his needs. He looks very regal laid out on the throne. You get two pictures because he looks so cute!! In the first you get idea that he is back in the jungle. In the second, you see how cute he is!!

Last night was the Stake Youth Standards night - I guess the equivalent of the old Road Show. All the different ward's youth were to make a skit around the teachings of the For the Strength of Youth booklet. Our ward took the 2009 theme of being examples of the believers and added it to the superhero "For the Strength of Youth Man" that we developed last year at camp (starring our very own Roger C.). I won't go into the whole skit, but FTSOY-man needed help and called on the youth of Fleming Island to help him save youth that were making bad choices. We did t-shirts for all the kids in the ward. The girls Bedazzled their shirts! Rozzie worked in the call center for FTSOY man. It doesn't look like we have many kids here, but there were quite a few that weren't there. Fun times! Now for the birthday update: Less than 2 weeks away!! And just under three weeks until Morg is 16!!

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

"The great state of Florida doesn't require a passing grade on the science portion so most of my class was done filling in bubbles in just a few minutes." I can't imagine not caring what I got on a test, meaningful or meaningless.

Go Morgan!

Cute Spunkers!

I pronounce FTSOY-man as "Fatsoy man." cute idea!

Jen said...

Wow, what a boring week it must have been to just administer tests all day. As much as I would have loved not having anything to do for a whole week while being a teacher, I can honestly say that that would get old, fast. Glad you made it out alive.

Hooray for you to be almost finished with your classes! What a relief that must be.

Congrats to Morgan! Sounds like she's got a great bunch of classmates to have that many be honor students.

Spunky sure is cute. That's the first time I've "met" him, I think. Does he reside indoors like Licky? Do you still have Licky? I'll cry if you don't.

That's a cute idea for a YW activity. Too bad I'm not in YW to be able to suggest it (and take full credit, of course...j/k).

Thanks for sharing your Marhc so far.

Jenni said...

Oh yes, we still have our Lickers. He is the light of our lives!! Spunky is a stray that adopted us. He stays outside. Sometimes he comes in, but only for a few minutes. The cats are so great. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am right now taking a break from my on-line reading class. aarrgh!!

Mike said...

Good to hear that Morgan was abducted, I always knew she had it in her.
Citizen

Housecat Boutique said...

Congratulations Morgan!