Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dishcloths and Plantains

I finished my first monthly knit-along dishcloth. It was such an easy pattern, even a child could do it, but I mucked it up just to keep myself humble. Actually, there is plenty to keep me humble these days - just look at me!! Anyway, that is not the purpose of this post. I wanted to show my sister that I did it! I'm so proud of myself. Yes, I knit plenty and all that, but I'm still excited. I'm now nervous for the mid-month knit-along as it is usually more difficult. So, now I will explain how I mucked up this charming dishcloth. First, I casted on too tightly. I don't know why, and I certainly know better. That is the reason that the bottom puckers in on both sides. Then, and I don't know how I did this, I got the pattern wrong on the last two rows. It was so easy and I was very careful. But, i just had to get it wrong and then not notice until I had bound off. Oh well, it's just a dishrag, right?Next, I thought I'd share with your one of our favorite meals. Mr. Skullcandy introduced us to fried plantains when he was out here a couple years ago. I had always wondered about those ugly green bananas. Then we had some friends (Puerto Ricans) that came over once and made them with us. And to top it off, a Puerto Rican sister in our ward came to Mutual one night and brought recipes and we made fried plantains and beans/rice. YUM. We've made them a few times here and it is always fun. The kids are getting good at it and I let them do it while I worked on a sewing project! So here are pictures of the delicious meal! Let me know if your interested in the bead recipe - it is very different from what we are used to and it is really good. First, you fry the plantains.
Then you flatten them using the peels.Then you fry them again and salt them. They have an "essence" of banana, but they taste more like a fried potato - maybe a thick potato chip. Very good with rice and beans on them!!

These are the beans. Oh, can you smell them? This is mouth watering stuff. Wish you were here to enjoy it with us!

3 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Interesting dish. I'll have to try it. Recipe please? You can just email it to me

And congratulations on finishing your first KAL cloth!

Jen said...

Despite your boo-boos, I still think you did a fine job on your dishcloth. It's much better than I could do. I still have a half-knitted "sweater" waiting for me.

I love fried plantains. Having Miami be such a big part of my childhood we would usually have some kind of Cuban cuisine when visiting. My grandma had Cuban neighbors with children my age who I would play with whenever I visited. They invited me (us) for lunch/dinner a lot, and beans/rice were ALWAYS part of the meal and sometimes fried plantains. I have yet to ever taste anything like that since. I don't how they make it, but I've never been able to replicate it or even find it in Cuban restaurants. So good!

Jake and Steph said...

Jen, hay muchas cosas que pudes hacer con los platanos. The rice and beans are very traditional. The chips are also good with braised-spiced pork and I also like them with scallop ceviche (very easy to do). We have also made whipped plantains with maple and cooked rum. But I could go on and on, and maybe I will. Saturday night I'm going to a carribean joint for dinner, I'll let you know if there's more plantain fare for you.

It's nice to make plantain chips for 5 or 10 ppl, we just shy away from it at work 'cuz it ends up being for 250-300 ppl. We then use a mallet to do the smashing, and sometimes we smash twice. Try taking a carrot peeler with a particulary unripe plantain and shaving it and then fry the shavings. You have to work fast 'cuz it gets really gummy. You can also cut the plantain into thin planks and the into strips (julienne) and fry them to make a sort of shoe-string plantain (obviously salt is required in all manifestations). Just thought I'd bore you guys with starchy banana uses.

Jake