Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Day 2012-2013

Today was the first day of school!!  I started my 5th year of teaching.  Everything went very well.  I feel that I know what I am doing in my English classes, but my Design class stressed me out.  I didn't teach level one last year so this is all new and I don't like new things.  All went well, but I'm tired.  I am not used to talking so much and so loud for so long.  One poor little girl, a freshman in my 5th per Design class, came in during 4th period, so I sent her to her English class.  Her English class went to lunch and so she came to 5th period late and then we had lunch and she was so confused.  She was near tears.  I sent her off to Guidance to get it straightened out.  She'll be fine, but for the moment, it was just too much.  It was a lot for me, too and now I'm ready to go to bed.  

Anyway, this morning was pretty exciting.  First off, Patrick caught a cicada and I couldn't figure out what the loud buzzing sound was outside.  He looked at me through the window and I noticed he had something in his mouth.  He spit it out and there it was all buzzing and flitting around.  They playing went on for a few minutes.  Then the buzzing stopped.  Patrick lost interest after it stopped buzzing and flitting...It is still on the back porch.

The girls were up early making themselves beautiful for the first day.  Maddie is a freshman now.  She looked adorable in her lavender polka-dot skinny jeans.  After school she came to my room and I asked how her day was.  She gave me a quick but earnest hug.  My asst. coach, Cortnee, looked at me and just laughed.  The hug sad so much:  I liked it; it was great; it was tiring; there was so much; I'm so glad to see you; I'm so glad it's over.  
 Rozzie was part of the junior pack that got t-shirts together.  This has become a school tradition for the juniors and seniors to wear class shirts on the first day.  The seniors also make and hang banners in the courtyard.  So Rozzie blinged out her shirt with her friends and they all dressed to match.  Everyone wore headbands they decorated with puffy paint and jewels.  They put their nicknames and class (2014) on it.  We have always teased Rozzie that her hip-hop name would be Raw-Z, which is pronounced "Rozzie".  She was pretty happy driving off to Seminary today and ready to park in the junior lot.
 Here is Maddie prodding Rozzie with a banana.
 They even have a class together this year - yearbook!  Plus, they'll be in dance together.  So now all our kids are high school and older.  We all survived and had pretty good days.

The next milestone is on Friday when Morgan leaves for Utah and her 2nd year of college!!

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Yay for surviving first day of school! Your girls look so growed up! Is Morgan going out by herself or is she being accompanied? She'd better stop by Paulie's "lodge" to say hello.

Jake and Steph said...

Will Maddie & Rozz carpool or is that not allowed (by school or Raw-Z)? R u gonna be teaching tie-dying in your design class? Maybe that would relieve some of the stress at the beginning. Teach in your wheelhouse for a few days. :)I'm super excited that Maya will be in all-day school. But again, we don't start for another coupla weeks.

Dennis said...

Like Sara said "the girls look so growed up". First day jitters are normal. Pretty soon things will settle down and a routine will develop and you'll be relaxed again.

Jen said...

Can't believe you've only got 2 kids left in the house at that both are already in high school. What is this world coming to? Glad to see all went well on the first day. I want those lavender polka dotted skinny jeans except I wouldn't be able to get them over my pinky toe. The girls do look adorable though!