Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mom is Always Right

Although, this one cost me a few dollars!! Maddie had a history project due and there were about 15 ideas to choose from. All the topics were "frontiersy" and involved poster boards, brochures, videos, etc. She was set on a nice poster board project when I noticed one was about railroad music. I told her I'd pay her $20 if she used her violin. She had mentioned that the teacher didn't like her (I'm sure he has a personal vendetta against her), but I was convinced that if she took her violin to school and played something, he'd be impressed.

She got to work and after listening to a few "Casey Jones" songs, that darn kid wrote a short "frontier" sounding song. She wrote it out on staff paper and worked it all out. It did have a "frontier" sound to it, too. She she played her newly written song and "Ashoken Farewell" for her class. The teacher recognized "Ashoken" from the Civil War series on PBS and remarked that is one of his favorites. He had never had a kid choose that option for this project. He wants her to come back and play. Apparently all the classes heard about Maddie and her violin all day.

I'm just really proud of her for doing it!! She kept her violin in the band room all day and played it for her band teacher who also recognized "Ashoken". See, I was right. If you do something very different, that might be a little embarrassing, but also shows you care about the project, you will be rewarded.

6 comments:

Jake and Steph said...

Nicely done, but the true test is if Maddie comes and thanks you for urging her to do something different. You can't be totally right until she does that. So I would push her to thank you and acknowledge your wisdom. It doesn't have to be any sort of formal ceremony or ritual. A simple thank you works, too. If it happens, I'd like to know what that feels like. :) I know know being right feels like, I wanna know what the thank you feels like. Jake

Shoebox Princess said...

Yes, very nice! That's especially nice that she wrote her own song. I'm sure kids and teachers will remember her project.

I think it is $20 well spent on your part.

Dennis said...

Hats off to Maddie for 1. Doing something different and 2. Listening to a parent. Parents aren't always right but we are never wrong.

Dennis said...

Instead of Never right I should have said seldom.

Mike said...

Good for Maddie, although I still hold something of a grudge against mom for making me be in musicals so I am finding it hard to take your side. But since this was already her medium I see your position vindicated. I would have probably just made gunpowder...I had to dress up as Jack London for our 6th grade authors night, it was moms idea and as I recall it went over well. Dont remember what grade I got but I do remember not repeating sixth grade so it must have been ok. She is so tall, I cant get over that picture of her in her dance costume on carnival stilts (right?).

Jen said...

I love it! Yes, moms are always right. I'm so glad it all worked out for Maddie and that she got to be "famous"for a day.