Thursday, March 15, 2012

March Madness

March started out with a trip to the National Dance Alliance dance competition in Orlando at the Hard Rock Live auditorium. I'll have some other pictures of Rozzie dancing on a later post. Many of you have already seen the scary picture of her that is on Facebook. Here is a less scary picture of her at her school away from school, Hogwarts.
The dance competition went well, although not as well as last year. This year, every team was really good. We came in 8th place and are really happy with that. There are some really fantastic teams out there and we are glad to be one of them. The team that won is the team that won last year and also went on "America's Got Talent". West Springfield Dance Team is amazing to watch!!

Today, my Fashion Design class finished out a project where they had to create an article of clothing or outfit out of "trash". They weren't allowed to buy anything, and they weren't supposed to use fabric. They used a lot of trash bags. They had a lot of fun coming up with different ideas. Today was the judgement day. I had a panel of judges come in to be my judges. The school TV station also reported on the show. I jokingly told them that first place gets an A, 2nd place a B, 3rd place a C, etc. They were so shocked at the grading system. There was a great sigh of relief when I told them that I was joking and then I handed out the grading rubric. I was pleased with how they used their time as well as their creativity. They worked in groups and one person in the group had to model.
This is the winning group!! They made her jacket from a shower curtain. They actually cut out pattern pieces and hot glued it together, including a hood. They also hot glued a zipper in it. Her tank top is newspaper. Her skirt is a garbage bag that they spray painted. It was really cute.
Now we start our Spring Break!!! WOOT WOOT. I can't believe that when we go back to school, it will be 4th quarter. Inconceivable!! (and it will be my birthday!!)

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

I really like the idea of a hoodie made out of a shower curtain.

Did Roz get to go to Hogwarts?

Jenni said...

She went to Universal (Wizarding World of Harry Potter). The competition is at Universal. She feels at home there. She now has Ginny's wand.

Jen said...

Conrats to Rozzie for her hard work! Just having the opportunity to compete at the national level is so awesome and rewarding.

Wow, what a cool idea for a fashion project. I think the group that won deserve the prize. Shows such ingenuity! I think Annie would come up with some interesting ideas because she already makes stuff out of our garbage. All. The. Time.

Laura Copeland said...

Such a fun idea to bring out creativity! I love it when teachers think outside the box, and you really did that to get your students doing the same. Way to go!