Saturday, June 18, 2011

Odds and Ends and Dance

Great Joy!! School is out. So first things first, we took the youth to the temple in Orlando. They are a great group of kids. The excitement of the day was arriving at the temple and one of the girls ran to the waiting room and vomited all over. All got cleaned up and the kids moved forward with their business and she was feeling fine a few hours later.
This picture is going way back in time to Rozzie's birthday. In all the confusion of graduation, parties, send-offs, and all that, I never posted a picture of Rozzie's birthday group. These are mostly church friends. She just wanted her cake decorated "prettily" so it has butterflies on it. She has her driver's permit and is looking for opportunities to drive at every moment. She does a pretty good job behind the wheel.

Last night was the dance recital. It was wonderful, as always. A great evening of entertainment. I haven't worked backstage for two years now and I miss out on all the group pictures. They got a few, but then the costume changes were coming too fast. They sure enjoy their time at the studio. This is their tap class - there are a few more girls, but they were doing quick costume changes. They danced to "School's Out for the Summer". I love their little school-girl costumes.

Maddie had taken a few years off from ballet, but decided to pick it up again this year. This is her ballet class. She has a man-teacher and he works them really hard. she has really liked betting back to ballet and hopes to be on pointe next year.

And finally, Morgan is settled into her room at BYU. I cried all last weekend. Morgan had a little panic attack Sunday night as we were finishing up the last bits of packing. Then Hannah and Sarah showed up and helped her out and calmed her down. Bless those girls!! Morgan and Travis pulled out of here early Monday morning and drove cross country to Utah. Morgan was so excited to see the mountains (and snow up at Rick and Holly's). She has been to BYU many times, but this time she was looking at it through different eyes and she loves it. She had freshman orientation yesterday and today. Travis and Katie helped her get unpacked. Travis said she started to get a little overwhelmed last night and Katie, with her cheerful attitude, just started helping out and Morgan followed suit. I think those two will like being close together!! So far, Morgan's roommate hasn't shown up. But Morg is off on her grand adventure.


I'll have more pictures to post when Travis returns home. Oh, and about the FSU blanket on her bed, I made her TWO tshirt quilts and she covers her bed with her FSU snuggie. alas...She'll get the quilts out when it gets colder (on the flip side of the summer).


I have vacuumed out her room. Her bathroom is next on the list of things to tackle. Rozzie and Maddie have dealt with all this pretty well. They cried on Sunday and Monday morning, but are mostly just really excited for Morgan. They ask what she is doing. And they stay busy with their own stuff.


Ta ta for now!!

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

I thought it was so cute when Mom and I were out to visit that Rozzie kept asking if people needed rides to the store. She sure was eager to get behind the wheel.

Such beautiful costumes for dance! Maddie looks so grown up.

Morgan's dorm room looks just the one Jimmy stayed in at Idaho. JUST LIKE IT. Except he didn't have an FSU snuggie on his bed.

I'm glad that Katie got some cousin time. One of these weekends, Katie should drive down to Provo and kidnap Morgan for a sleepover at Katie's apartment. They could make brownies and watch some of Katie's MANY MANY dvds.

For me, who has tear ducts that open with a slight breeze, I didn't get weepy over my kids leaving. And their siblings didn't either. I guess we just don't like each other as much as you Smiths do. Seriously though, you'll get used to Morgan's absence. She is where she needs to be. And she's doing what she needs to be doing.

Jenni said...

I am in no way sad about her leaving. I guess my crying is just an emotional thing. I miss her, but I certainly don't wish she stayed behind. I vacuumed her room out with nary a tear!! And threw out 2 bags of garbage with cheers of joy.

Not surprised that BYU and "Ricks" used the same dorm floor plan. It worked, for a while, I guess. They had so much fun last night. I'm glad Katie posted pictures SINCE MORGAN HASN'T!!

Laura Copeland said...

Morgan is going to have so many great experiences! I know she is going to love it there. I think she will probably be ditching the FSU blanket soon, however. As soon as she starts practicing with the band, she will realize that blue looks much better in her room. Hah!

Jen said...

I'm glad Rozzie had a good birthday and what a way to keep celebrating by being able to drive now. She sounds so excited about it. I remember those days. Now I'm more than happy to let someone else do the driving.

Good luck to Maddie in ballet. I'm sure she is just gorgeous doing her dancing.

And good luck to Morgan. She's going to do so great out at BYU. It just amazes me to think of these nieces and nephews as college students.

TeamCar said...

How fun! So excited ( not about the vomiting)

Glad Roz had a great birthday and Maddie looks so cute!

Love the Dorm! Morgan looks like she is ready to be on her own!

Lots of hugs!