Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thirteen for one, a race for another

This past week, Maddie had her 13th birthday. It was greatly anticipated and then spent at school, dance, violin, and church. I believe she enjoyed it anyway. I made cupcakes to take to church for the girls and they were pleased. They are practicing for the Sacrament Meeting program this Sunday. I am not in YW anymore; however, they asked me to direct the program so I have been heavily involved recently.

Our schools had Veteran's Day off (Thursday) so Maddie was able to enjoy herself then. She had two friends over for a taco lunch and laughing.

In other news this week, Morgan ran her first 5k race. She has been training at band practice and then with a lady in the ward, Tara. Tara comes over each Tuesday and gives Morgan "the business." She has been so great for Morgan. Here are the ward members at the race: Amy, Travis, Morgan, and Tara. Amy ran the 10K.

And here is Morgan and Trav crossing the finish line. During the race, Morgan reported that she wanted to push her dad into the middle of the road in response to his kind encouragement. Now she is planning to do two more races in December!!

Now we are off to Sushiya for a family dinner for Maddie's successfully turning 13. They serve stuff other than sushi! Now all our kids are teenagers!!

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Congratulations to Morgan for running a race! And funny that some encouragement is not taken as such.

Cyoot girls!

Enjoy the dinner out! I'm glad to hear that Maddie successfully turned 13.

Laura Copeland said...

That is so fantasic that Tara has worked with Morgan on her first race, as well as her dad being such an inspiration to keep her going! I'm so proud of Morgan entering the race, but even prouder that she finished it! That was so great that you were able to take a picture of all the ones from our ward together! How fun! Also, it was so fun to see Maddie's face at her little birthday party at the church. She's such a sweet girl!

TeamCar said...

Rock n Roll Morgan! I have only come to decide that I like running. Its taken me a few years to like it. I must be nuts.

Yay Maddie 13... can't believe it. Where is the time going to?

Hugs!

Dennis said...

Congratulations Morgan. 5K is about 4.99K farther than I could run.
Happy Birthday Maddie.
I love all of you.

Jen said...

Happy [belated] birthday to Maddie! I hope she enjoyed her special day!!

How fantastic for Morgan to take on training for and running in a 5K! It's definitely a life-changing strategy to start up running. Something I never could do, but with what sounds like a great mentor I'm sure Morgan will come a long way.