Monday, October 19, 2009

Homecoming 2009 - Chapter Jen

We're getting closer to Halloween!! I thought I'd share this cross-stitch I did back when we lived in Chicago (1994-1995). I love the ceramic buttons on it. It is really one of my favorite stitchings I have ever done. I remember nearly keeling over when she told me it would cost $81 for the framing.
Last week was Homecoming week at Fleming Island High School. I figured it was about time I started participating in the school activities. During Homecoming week, the student council assigns "theme days" for each of the days and the kids have a blast dressing up and being goofy. Day one was Hip Hop vs. Rock and Roll!! I got a pair of Dickies at WalMart, black socks, and black slippers. I paired this with my over sized Skullcandy t-shirt, Skullcandy headphones, and big silver and gold necklaces with dollar signs on them. Here I am rockin' it with one of my students. I will say that the kids got a kick out of the fact that I got the Dickies and the slippers. Everyone had to listen to the headphones, too.
Day two was Disney vs. Cartoon Network. Miss Tiffany and I certainly stole the show as Snow White. The yearbook girls came asking for the camera card so they could get this one in the yearbook!! I talked like Snow White all day and danced around with my cape I made the night before. I'm not going to lie, the cape made the costume!! I had numerous kids asking where my birds were. I explained that they were not allowed inside as they poop on the floor.
I took a break on day three to recover and build strength for day 4. So, day 4 was Past vs. Future. I went back to Homecoming 1986 at Minnetonka. I showed my classes the Homecoming Pepfest Skipperette dance and a few other things. They enjoyed that. I treated each class to a rendition of the school song (Tonka's) and a few cartwheels and splits!! Miss Tiffany was thinking 1980's, too, as she was Cyndi Lauper!!
Well, it isn't as pretty as it used to be, but not many my age can still do it, so there.

Morgan didn't dress up all week until Spirit day. We discussed dressing up as ghosts, but decided that are jobs aren't all that secure these days. I'll be posting pictures of Morgan and the Homecoming parade next. Now this week is Rozzie's Homecoming festivities at the junior high. So stay tuned and I'll get around to it at some point!!

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

I love the Halloween cross-stitch with all the love my heart possesses!

And kudos to you for still being able to do the splits!

Jen said...

Cute cross-stitch. It is always shocking to find out how much it is to frame stuff (usually way more expensive than the thing you plan to frame).

Wow, you went all out for spirit week. Your students probably think you are the coolest teacher. Holy batman, I can't believe you can still do splits! I don't think I could open my legs more than 45 degrees (and I used to be quite the contortionist in my day).

Dennis said...

Holy Cow!! You are awesome. The splits, man I wouldn't even have tried that when I was young. Your costumes are really great. Congratulations on being a really cool teacher. I remember 2 of my teachers in particular. Mr. Spring (chemistry) who said he would give me a D if I promised never to take chemistry again, and Mr. Wood (drafting) who listened to Paul Harvey on the radio all day.

Fouquette Racing said...

Man, the splits! You are amazing! Makes me want to try....