Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nothing Lasts Forever

Say it ain't so!! Ahh, but it is. School is here. Last week, I had my week of planning. It was a week of meetings and taking care of minute details. I worked very hard. I had 10 hour days, 12 hours days, and a 14 hour marathon day on Friday. Travis was a wise man and knew better than to call me at work and ask, "What's for dinner?" Rather, he asked, "Can I bring you Moe's?" The answer to that question is always "yes". He really stepped it up this week. It was pretty rough. So here I am at my desk in my room with my stuff!! It is very exciting, isn't it? I'm mostly thrilled that I got a real classroom in the building and not a portable. For those who don't live in FL, a portable is a double-wide trailer they use as classrooms here. I'm always afraid they would fall off their cinder blocks!! So, as I said, here I am looking all happy.
Here is the family after our Moe's dinner. And another view of my class. The room is HUGE and the walls are bare. the ceiling is high and it echoes badly. I need some tapestries!!
So my room was all set up. The girls had gone to their orientations. We were ready to go. Everyone was excited and a little nervous, including me!! Here is Rozzie, off to Jr. High. She is actually the last one to leave the house in the morning. She carefully curled her pigtails. She chose her outfit with care. She is most excited that she got the student aid position she hoped for. For one hour out of her day, she will sit at the front desk and answer phones, transfer calls, take messages, fill out tardy slips, and direct people.
Maddie is off to 6th grade in her new Converse tennis shoes that she ordered on line - she actually created them herself!! She had a tough time waiting for them to come in the mail. She is happy with the teachers she got. We are surprised to find ourselves in our last year of elementary school!
Morgan has been at school marching for 2 weeks. She is excited to be an upper-classman and park in the junior lot. She has a tough schedule this year with three AP classes. One teacher required a 6" three-ring binder that we could only find at Staples for $33!!! She has lots of friends in all her classes. She has wonderful teachers - she can't chose a favorite class at this point!!

The day went well for everyone. it is strange for me to get used to a new schedule. I have parking lot duty this first 9 weeks and I get to drive a golf cart around and check for mischief. I also let kids in and out of the lot. it is a little bit fun to drive around. I have duty early in the day, so it isn't holy hot outside - yet. I was EXHAUSTED after that first day. I talked a mile a minute just to get all the stuff covered for 53 minutes every hour. That is not easy!! You would think I was used to it!! Anyway, I will have some challenges this year with my students. they are my usual population. One girl showed me the tattoo on the inside of her lower lip!! But I know most of them and the others seem to rely on their reaction to me. I think the Smith's will have a successful year.

5 comments:

Tina Johnson said...

Good luck this year! Sounds like everyone is offto a good start!

Dennis said...

Only 9 months till summer vacation!!
Everyone looks so spiffy. Have fun driving your golf cart. I think that would be the highlight of my day.

Jenni said...

I don't mind the golf cart. It is fun and you feel kindof special!

Shoebox Princess said...

Another year! Wow all the girls are looking so grown up! Those are COOL Converses!

Did you get your hair cut? I'm on Katie's puter so I'm not sure I'm seeing your hair the right way.

Cool for the golf cart duty! Sounds like fun.

Fouquette Racing said...

Good luck to all on a new year! Sounds exciting!