Monday, April 1, 2013

The Holiday From Which We Measure How Long It Has Been That We Have had Diarhhea

"Nacho Libre" enthusiasts will know that to be "Easters".  

We were on Spring Break this past week.  Travis was out in California having his voice surgically altered.  So it was just the girls hanging out at the house.  Spring Break couldn't come soon enough and now we just have to trudge through to the end of the school year.  This is when all the testing happens and there is no break in sight.  The kids have already started going to the beach so their minds are not on scholarly employs at this time.  sigh....

So what did we do while Trav was away?  We watched lots of movies and I finished a pair of socks!!  Now that it is 80 degrees everyday, I won't be needing them.  

I celebrated my 44th birthday!  We went to dinner at PF Chang.  Trav left me a gift card.  Sadly, this was my first cakeless birthday...  (Trav is coming home tomorrow, so I baked one today.  Wait til you see pictures!!)  I survived.  

While we were all waiting for school to get out last Friday, Rozzie's dear friend Chelsea went to the ER for a very bad headache with vomiting.  This was the start of 10 days in ICU for a tumor on her pituitary gland.  It was, and still is a very scary time for her.  The surgery went well and she came home today.  Rozzie, Lauren, and Nora have been to visit Chelsea many times.  It is nice to see kids rally in times like this.  They rose to the occasion and did the difficult thing - all of them.  

Sara sent me a puzzle for my birthday.  I'm always very intimidated by puzzles and this was no exception.  I spent an entire day doing this puzzle - even stayed up until 1:30 to finish it.  I couldn't go anywhere, and was coming out of my own funk, so I just committed one day to this beast and I conquered it!!

Then came Easters.  Just so you know, I am wearing flats and the girls are both in heels.  Yes, they are both taller than me, but not this much taller.  It was a nice Easters and we went over to Lani's for dinner.  

I also had a colonoscopy during the break (that is the funk I was in while doing the puzzle).  I do not have pictures to show you of the procedure.  Yes, the prep for the procedure is unpleasant and if I never have Gatorade again, it will be too soon.  I hated it in the first place.  After the procedure, my IV sites have been bothersome.  I was dehydrating pretty fast by the time they put in the IV that I was happy to see the saline solution.  The problem was that they couldn't get a good vein and it HURT when they put it in.  I've had MANY IVs in my lifetime so I know what it should be like.  It continued to be uncomfortable (it even hurts with typing - I think she messed up a nerve) and they must have moved the IV when I was out because I have 2 big bruises on my hand and wrist.  All went well, they found what they were looking for, removed some polyps, and woke me up.

That was Spring Break.  I hope you all had a good Easters and that the temps are warming up a bit and Spring will spring for you, too.

Also, for those who haven't already heard me tell the story:
Last night, Maddie and I were watching a movie and Licky came to the front door and was meowing.  Maddie went and opened the door.  Licky ran away.  Maddie turned to me and said, "We were just 'ding-dong ditched' by our cat."  That's pretty low.

4 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

This was a very fun post--a little bit of everything. Sometimes it's just nice to get everything off your mind and down on paper, right? George and I have been meaning to ask how Travis is doing. I'm so glad he is coming home. It's just not the same when you don't have Dad around the house, right?! Give him our love and hope he is doing well.

Shoebox Princess said...

WHAT? No cake??? How can this be? I woulda baked you a cake and sent it to you if I had known.

I'm glad there were only polyps and not Pelepponisians in your colon. I don't want to have a colonoscopy ever. *whimper*

I was just looking at Hayley's Florida book--which was from only 5 years ago--and I marveled at how much all of our girls have changed since then! You have some tall chickadees! Although not so tall, you say? Lovely pic tho!

Get better fast Travis! I see from fb that he is on his way home.

Love the story of your cat ding-dong-ditching you! That is low.

TeamCar said...

I was supposed to have a colonoscopy, but my insurance won't pay for it. They told me I have to wait until I am 50 to get one. Its really ridiculous.

Hopefully I won't die of any strange polyps going rogue or the diverticulitus come back.. if it does too late, hospital time. blech.

I was really looking forward to a good cleaning out... NOT. I won't complain.

Glad Trav is doing ok. LICKY needs a lesson in door etiquette. :P

You guys look great! Miss you and today is our last day of Spring Break.. boo.

LOVE ya!

Jen said...

It's nice to see that you all had a diarrhea-free Easters. Love those festive socks! There's something about green and orange together. Wow, I can't believe how tall those girls have gotten. Must take after Travis...lol. I'm glad you had a delightful birthday and I can't wait to see the cake you baked.