Wednesday, September 26, 2012

More of the Same, but good!!

 A couple weeks ago, we were thrilled to play host to Kori!!  Kori was out east for Claire's graduation from Army boot camp in South Carolina.  After those festivities, she came down to Jacksonville for a few days with us!  She had never been to our little neck of the woods, so this was a real treat for us.  She came to a football game with us:
Maddie, Aunt Kori, Rozzie - Maddie towers over everyone now.
 She even met the mascots, Swoop and Swoopette!!  I think she had a good time and so did we.  As I said, we don't see each other often, but we've known each other long enough to have a great relationship and it picks up right where it was left off last time!!
The only thing we do anymore is go to football games.  

This past week's game was against Bolles.  Bolles is a private school that has won more state championships than anyone else.  It was a close game right down to the last second.  They said it couldn't be done, but we beat them!  The last 5 minutes of the game, Bolles had the ball and threatened to score.  The cheerleaders quit their organized cheering and commenced their emotional cheering.  They have never cared so much for the outcome of a game! As you can see in the background, none of the fans left early.
Go Eagles!


After the game all the cheerleaders, dancers, and football players gather by the band for the Alma Mater.  After this game, much of the students section joined them on the track.  It was a really fun evening.  
I wish I had more to report.  I made a fantastic salad tonight.  Mikkyn made it many years ago at a family reunion and I copied the recipe and it has just been sitting here.  I finally  told myself to do and and now Travis and I keep going back to the fridge to steal extra bites!!

Mikkyn's Avocado Salad:
1 avocado - diced
2 cans of canned corn
1 can of black beans (rinsed)
1/2 chopped red onion
1 "thing" of cherry tomatoes - I cut them in half
I forgot the cilantro
douse it all with a vinaigrette dressing (I used an olive oil vinaigrette because I don't like Balsamic)
Salt & pepper to taste (and you'll keep tasting!!)

5 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

That was nice that you had Kori come out for a visit.

You could be doing worse things than going to watch football games (especially those games that they win and that your daughters dance at). You'll look back fondly on these games, I'm sure.

That is a very colorful salad.

TeamCar said...

I had a GREAT time. I really enjoyed being with you. Time was too short, I really wanted to learn how to knit!!! haha.

Love you guys and HUGS from us to you!!!

Jake and Steph said...

I think you put in just as much time into football related activities as the parents of the actual football players. It's just dedication to your kids' interests. Plus it's always fun to be the underdog and win. I got to be part of that my frosh yr @ BYU when we were ranked #25 & U of Miami was #1. Mad rejoicing on the field. Totes fun!

Jen said...

What fun for Kori and you guys to have her visit. I suppose your life really does revolve around football and everything related to it these days. Hope you like football;)

Mike said...

Maddie is getting really tall... I love avocados and would like to try the salad.